Heritage Rough Rider - Not a Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fastapex

Single-Sixer
I have an AR-15 lower listed locally and someone is offering a Heritage Rough Rider .22 and some cash.

I looked around online and could not find any decent reviews. Searched RF but of course not being a ruger little appeared.

Hoping someone could shed some light on this revolver.

FastApex

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
The Rough Rider usually sells for about $200.00 NIB with an extra 22 mag cylinder. Resale is even less of course.

They are a servicable gun. Not pretty to look at, the finish is paint of one kind or another. They're usually pretty accurate according to those who have them, but they're a long way from a Ruger Single Six. Of course they cost about half what a Single-Six does too.

I've looked at them myself a couple of times, but could never bring myself to buy one. IF I didn't have a 22 pistol at all, I might.

Check RimfireCentral.com. You'll find a lot of discussion about the Rough Rider. Like most inexpensive guns, some love 'em, others hate 'em.

I can't tell you about your trade as, I have no idea what an AR-15 lower is worth or how much cash he's offering.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
I don't own one nor have I shot one but after looking at many at a local shop, I was not impressed and I would not buy one. If you can't afford new, get a used Single Six. You will be MUCH better off in the long run. :mrgreen:

flyinfred

Blackhawk
I've had 2...first one got sold when I was out of work for 3 years..when I went back and got back to buying instead of selling, my wife decided we needed another of them...never again...finish would not stay on ...horrible trigger...and the safety? to call it mickey mouse would insult the mouse!
It took a loooonnnnnngggggg time to get rid of it and I will never buy anything they make again. Run, don't walk away from this trade...if you can't trade for a Single Six, don't trade.....jmo

redsouthpaw

Bearcat
CajunBass":29inai1y said:
The Rough Rider usually sells for about $200.00 NIB with an extra 22 mag cylinder. Resale is even less of course.

They are a servicable gun. Not pretty to look at, the finish is paint of one kind or another. They're usually pretty accurate according to those who have them, but they're a long way from a Ruger Single Six. Of course they cost about half what a Single-Six does too.

I've looked at them myself a couple of times, but could never bring myself to buy one. IF I didn't have a 22 pistol at all, I might.

Check RimfireCentral.com. You'll find a lot of discussion about the Rough Rider. Like most inexpensive guns, some love 'em, others hate 'em.

I can't tell you about your trade as, I have no idea what an AR-15 lower is worth or how much cash he's offering.

What he said.
I paid about $150 for mine new. Don't love it and don't hate it. With the Rough Rider you get what you pay for.
It would depend on how much cash is in the offer because he is probably throwing in the pistol just to get rid of it. If you are in desperate need of a .22 revolver then maybe. If not, hold out for a single six.

fastapex

Single-Sixer
i was not interested at all in the trade, now after these response I am definitely not. I sold it locally for cash anyway.

Thanks all for the input.

Fastapex

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I've got a Heritage Rough Rider and it's been great. Of course it's not nearly as nice as a Single Six, but I had the money for it (and not the SS) so I took a chance on it and I have not been disappointed. The trigger on mine is great, and it's quite accurate.

They remind me of Hi-Points in that most people who don't like them have never owned one. They have a pretty decent following and most owners are quite pleased with them (as am I). I definitely want to add a Single Six to my collection, but my RR will certainly hold me over until I can get one.

comfun1

Bearcat
I have owned one for four or five years and am quite happy with it. Maybe this is a loyal Ruger site but I have no complaints with my Rough Rider. There is nothing wrong with my finish and it is not 'painted on'. This thread causes me to wonder if this is not just the Ruger corporations replys to sell Rugers and run others down. It's accurate, reliable and you can throw it in the trunk of your car, keep it in your boat or tackle box and not worry about someone stealing an expensive firearm. It is a very servicible gun at a very reasonable price. If you are into some kind of 'fancy boy' competition shooting don't buy it. If you want a pistol you can take coon huntin', river wadin', four wheelin', camping, under the bed, and don't care about cleaning it, this is the gun for you. It's a shame to see people run a brand down just because they have a thing for a certain brand. There is no problem with the safety either.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
:roll: I have no idea what "some kind of 'fancy boy' competition shooting" is but for just a little more than what you pay new for one of these you can buy a used Ruger Single Six and it is so much better there is NO comparison. I didn't have to drive or own a Yugo to know I didn't want one.

Geezer

Single-Sixer
I've owned the Rough Riders before. Mine were blued, not painted. They are pretty good plinkers, especially for the money. Fit and finish is not as good as the Ruger but the price is less than half. I never had any problems at all with any that I have owned or fired. Like ab4ka said, they are like the Hi Points, most people that hate them never owned or even shot one.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
wetidlerjr":k6r2x2pl said:
:roll: I have no idea what "some kind of 'fancy boy' competition shooting" is but for just a little more than what you pay new for one of these you can buy a used Ruger Single Six and it is so much better there is NO comparison. I didn't have to drive or own a Yugo to know I didn't want one.

Well, no. I've never seen a used Single Six for "just a little more" than a Rough Rider. At least not lately.

Unless you consider 1/3 more and up to be "just a little more."

CraigC

Hawkeye
This has nothing to do with brand loyalty and I don't need to own or shoot a Rough Rider to know that it is a cheap gun. The frames are made of pot metal or the cheapest grade of carbon steel available. A steel alloy that most agree has no business in firearms' manufacture. The barrels are "microthreaded" and glued into place. The finish is indeed sprayed on. They have an atrocious thumb safety and fit and finish is about what you should expect on a $150 gun. Just fine if you don't expect much and okay as an inexpensive plinker but anyone who says they're "just as good" as a Single Six is delusional. Just like with the aforementioned HiPoints, if you can afford better, you should. Most owners are quite realistic about them but some get defensive (fancy boy shooting???) and lose their composure when you tell it like it is. :roll:

Three of my four Single Sixes were bought in the last several years and I paid $200 for an Old Model, $225 (NIB!) for a drift adjustable New Model and $250 for a fixed sight .32H&R. So no, I don't believe for one second that anyboy who bought a Rough Rider spent much time shopping for used Single Sixes. I watch them go for well under $300 all the time on Gunbroker.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
CajunBass":24qjfc69 said:
wetidlerjr":24qjfc69 said:

Well, no. I've never seen a used Single Six for "just a little more" than a Rough Rider. At least not lately.

Unless you consider 1/3 more and up to be "just a little more."

I recently paid $250 for a very good condition three screw Single Six w/box and papers. The Heritage RR w/4.75" bbl. and adj. sights lists at $239 which around here means it would sell for about $200. So well, yes, I would always buy a Ruger SS and considering the quality difference, I think that is just a little more.
Feel free, however to buy all the cheap pistols you desire. :wink:

comfun1

Bearcat
Kalashnokov
Back in the early 60's I had a Ruger Blackhawk with a 22 magnum cylinder which I thought was a very practical gun. A few years back when I wanted another gun like it I bought my Heritage RR. I have been completly satisfied with it and happy I didn't have to spend as much to get it. I'd be interested in knowing what you think of the Kalashnokov. The fit, finish and quality is the poorest there is, yet because of the design it is the most sucessful and reliable rifle in the world. I'm sure if you trash the RR you will have no choice but to trash the AK as well. I'll be interested in your replys. By the way, I currently own a Ruger that I'm happy with. But then again, I'm happy all the time.