Help identify Faux Ivory Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rat76

Single-Sixer
I just picked these up on Ebay. I have done the red-hot pin test on the backside with no reaction. No smell, no melt, nothing. SR medallion & factory grip screw.

1690488614679.png

They appeared more yellow in the listing, but I am pleased with the color they are. They fit my 2012 NM 45 quite well after I slightly enlarged the locating pin hole. At $57.38 including tax & shipping, I be grinning. :D

IMG_20230727_114007306.jpg
IMG_20230727_114031255.jpg

The original grips just did not appeal to me, these feel the same as my other BH grips (wood but slicker) & IMNSHO make the revolver look much better.

IMG_20230727_114333050.jpg
1690489046260.jpeg

Any info will be appreciated, particularly what they are made of.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

JCW64

Single-Sixer
I would guess Holly wood. I think I can see some mildew on the backside and that is possible if the backs were not sealed.

Rat76

Single-Sixer
I'm pretty sure that's just stains from the previous installation. I think with wood I'd have seen some reaction from the red-hot pin. The material is rock hard.

I did some research & some of these were made with a countertop material. It appears that there were several vendors for these over the years.

Most do , few "mark them" and to me they are some form of polymer or as noted above 'corian' or other stuff,, lots of them over the years, .micarta, from Westinghouse comes to mind,,yes they look nice and if they fit and YOU like them ,,,you're good to go ;)

Rat76

Single-Sixer
Most do , few "mark them" and to me they are some form of polymer or as noted above 'corian' or other stuff,, lots of them over the years, .micarta, from Westinghouse comes to mind,,yes they look nice and if they fit and YOU like them ,,,you're good to go ;)

I am most definitely good to go. I won't do this on any of the others, but this particular revolver just didn't look right with the normal Ruger wood grips.

As a side note, I was looking at the line of Blackhawks in the safe & wondered why all of the grip frames were kinda satin black except for the 32 caliber Buckeye. It's a nice shiny black like the rest of the gun. Steel grip frame, DUH! No wonder it's my heaviest Backhawk, even tho the OM 30 Carbine has an inch longer barrel.

yes, good observation, as the aluminum grip frames usually are a more matted finish than the "polished" steel/blued ,frames...yes the difference in the weights, can be felt,,even more when actually shooting, "felt recoil" added weight minimizes it, I recall many years ago back in the 50's and early 60s some "target (bullseye) shooters" would even tape a roll of coins under the barrel to keep the muzzle down, second shot recovery faster,,,it worked......,..;)

moparclan

Single-Sixer
Good score!
Those look to be micarta made by Lett for Ruger in the good old days. They will supposedly yellow over time because of the cloth or paper fiber used to make them. I have many sets and like them very much. Looking at the medallion and the way its staked and the stainless escutcheon I would say Lett.
They were also made in ebony, very good quality. Most Ajax and other brands were a cheep plastic or polymer.
Some were also scrimshawed (laser) with the Ruger emblem, have a few of them too.

$65.00j.jpg

DSC00559.JPG

DSC00593.JPG

single six birdshead.jpg

DSC00445_zpsef7e6ba0.jpg

Newest attempt from Ruger, much cheaper looking than the Lett grips.
DSC00329.JPG

Last edited:

Rat76

Single-Sixer
Good score!
Those look to be micarta made by Lett for Ruger in the good old days. They will supposedly yellow over time because of the paper fiber used to make them. I have many sets and like them very much. Looking at the medallion and the way its staked and the stainless escutcheon I would say Lett.
They were also made in ebony, very good quality. Most Ajax and other brands were a cheep plastic or polymer.
Some were also scrimshawed (laser) with the Ruger emblem, have a few of them too.

View attachment 26189
View attachment 26190
View attachment 26191
View attachment 26192

First, Beautiful collection.

Second, I do believe you are right about the micarta. This pic shows layering & they are yellowing. Not as much as this pic (I wish they were) but time will take care of that. ;)

1690575477856.jpeg

Third, I really love those Old Armys. :D

The No melt, No smell makes me think mineral. Alabaster, Meerschaum or one of the poured kitchen counter type materials. Anything using plastic or resins along with actual ivory will melt, burn, smell.