Hammerli Virginian

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
Just picked-up this like-new Harmmerli Virginian in 357 Magnum:

Hammerli_Virginian_1.jpg

Though not an exact Colt clone, their fit and finish are as good as any other SAA I've handled (to include USFA).

Any one else shoot these guns? Hammerli produced a few thousand from 1972 - 1975, but overall they're pretty rare.

flatgate

Hawkeye
It's been a long time since I've seen one of those, Lee!
I used to "pick them up and look" but, lately, usually just walk on by.....

Nice!

flatgate

Lee Martin

Hunter
Ya Carl, they were relatively unknown and unsought after for years. I think the renewed interest in single-actions from the 90's on put them on the radar. Prices have definitely risen over the past 5 to 6 years.

I have a few to include 45 Colts in 4 5/8" & 5 1/2" and an identical 357 Mag (5 1/2").

Lee, check the top strap on the early Hammerlii guns, they had issues with the heat treat, and we've had some that were 'cracked' come through our shop, had them redone back then,but now Interarms is no longer in business and Mr Cummings is LONG gone, soooooooooo...caveat emptor
(yes can be rewelded and heat treated but not many guys will do the job and recolor case harden to boot....) :wink:

thats good, I was brought one recently at a small show over here in Niles,Ohio and it was cracked at the top strap (front of the cylinder frame) poor guy had no clue what to do.........I told him to contact the folks at Turnbull and they could help him hopefully, brand new looking gun too, it was left to him in an estate,box ,shipper and all still marked 10 Prince St Alexandria,Va......
yours looks really neat, like the pictures too.......... :wink:

Lee Martin

Hunter
I know 10 Prince Street well. I grew-up, and still live, 8 miles from Interarms. In fact, most of my guns came from their storefront, Potomac Arms, which was right next to the warehouse. Sadly, Potomac closed in 2005 and the Interarms portion of the business was acquired by Legacy Sports International.

HHHmm,really wonder what happened to the MANY warehouses Sam had back in the day, hell, he could "outfit" about ANY army in the world, he was a neat guy................I remember when the feds held some ships offshore and would NOT allow them to dock till they figured out what and how to handle their cargo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not sure if they ever disembarked on US soil.... 8) ah, those were the days........... :wink:

Lee Martin

Hunter
My dad remembers when Interarms started back in the late 1950's. In fact, the storefront section of Interarms had barrels (and I mean barrels upon barrels) of Browning Hi-Powers, Lugers, and 1911s. The Lugers and 1911s were $15 each (your pick). The Brownings were a tad higher....something like $18. My dad bought one of each and still has them to this day.

The other neat thing about Potomac Arms is if you needed a gun, especially military or surplus, they'd just call across to the warehouse. They also bought large collections and priced the guns to sell. The last bunch I bought from them in '04 were at incredible prices. How low? How about a first year 357 flattop in excellent condition for $350. A NIB 357 Max for $500. A first year 44 Blackhawk with factory stag for $600. I got to know the staff really well over the years and miss that whole operation.