Grandson's Low and Slow Flying Trip To Texas

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hey Guys,
A TWO DAY LOW AND SLOW TRIP
My Grandson and I just got back to Texas from Norfolk VA. This was a trip of about 1400 miles in a 100 MPH airplane.
The reason for the trip was to bring the Champ to my house. Since my Son and Family will be moving to Bremerton WA. the end of July. Because my Son will be the New Air Boss on the Nimitz for two years. He doesn't know where he is going after that, hopefully to Texas. So the Champ will stay here until stuff gets sorted out.
Now about the trip. My Grandson will be 14 in Sept. Since his Dad is an instructor his flying skills are rather high for a 13 year old. He probably has 100 hrs. or so. With most of them in the Champ. He has the ability to solo but isn't old enough. You have to be 16.
I have been a firm believer that you should be able to draw a Black line on a chart and be able to follow it with your compass. That has been good enough to get me all over this country in the last 40+ years. So that is what he did along with him flying about 80% of the time and all the landings and take offs. All I did was sit in the back and watch his Dad's hand held GPS. We really didn't need it but it gave me something to do.
We left Norfolk at 7:15 and got to Tuscaloosa AL. at 2:30 with one gas stop. The weather was good but some haze probably 8-10 miles Vis. We stayed at 4500FT. at 100KT. Thank God for tailwinds. 61/2 hours is about all my butt and back can stand. It's hell to get old. So we spent the night there. The next morning we blasted off, well not quite a blast, at 7:15 for the 550 mile trip to my house, West of Houston. This time we went to 6500-8500' due to some scattered clouds and speed was around 90KT. We got to the house at 1:15 with one gas stop. It was a great trip and the first time Grandson has flown that far with a compass and a chart.
So in the last 14 months I have flown a 100 MPH low and slow plane from the left coast and the right coast to Houston.
Now for some History on the Champ. It is a 1959 Champion 7GC with a 140HP Lycoming in it. My Neighbor spent 6 years rebuilding it with me helping him. I did all the painting and some faberick work. It was finished in 1993. At that time he had Cancer pretty bad and died in 1994. I was able to fly him around in the plane some. The plane was sold by the Widow to a guy in Mich. in 1998. I bought it in 2001 after seeing it was for sale and it was delivered to VA.. This was a way for my Son to have something to fly the wife and kids in and hang out at the airpot with. It has been a great 9 years with the "CHIMP". That is the name the Grandson gave it when he found out we were buying it. It was awhile before we told him it was a CHAMP.
So after 12 years the CHIMP landed back at it's roots. I'm not sure either of us landed it. It was just happy to get back home.
Take care,
Jim with the sore butt.

1277240715.jpg

1277240714.jpg

Ya got to have a Cowboy Hat
1277240711-1.jpg

Sheriff

Single-Sixer
Enjoyed the story, thanks for sharin'. BTW, as to growing 'old', it sure beats the alternative. :D

Hugh

Buckeye
Wow! That's great. What a neat way to learn to drive and get around. By the way, there's a nice little airport at Bremerton. Bremerton National Airport, about ten miles down the road.

AKGrouch

Bearcat
Jim, That's fantastic that you and your son are ensuring that the boy follows on in the footsteps and heritage of flying. I know I sure wish my kids liked flying as I would take them up frequently and enjoy having someone that was kin to go with me for the old $100 burger. I still go,but it would be nicer with family along to go with me to the various flyins up here.

pat

Hugh":3te97gkk said:
Wow! That's great. What a neat way to learn to drive and get around. By the way, there's a nice little airport at Bremerton. Bremerton National Airport, about ten miles down the road.

Hugh,
Thanks, that is the airport my Son already has the hangar at.
Our RF member Capn27(Rich) who lives down the road told us about it.
Rich is also going to receive the two cars Son is shipping to his house.
I'm always at a loss for words when it comes to the RF guys that step up to the plate when you need help.
Thanks,
Jim

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
That's really neat to be able to do something like that with your grandson, I doubt if I'll ever have the opportunity. Can make the comment though, that the only thing slower going cross country is in a helicopter, they got to stop at every airport that comes along to "fill 'er up", plus about a 100 mph speed or even less in some of them; but you get to see everything "close up".