GP muzzle crown damage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alpo

Bearcat
Hey guys,

So, my GP100's been shooting wide right. After last my range trip, I looked closely at the muzzle and I seems that the lower left (when looking at the business end) may be damaged, as in the lands/grooves are missing.

Thoughts?

Alpo

Bearcat
BTW, that's a year old gun with less than 500 rounds through it.

GP100man

Buckeye
Send Ruger the pics in a nice e-mail , bet they send ya a box to pick it up .

Looks a little off centered & a scoach deep ???

the crown looks uniform aside from each picture being slightly tilted, and yes, the depth of the "grooves" in the area you note,appears shallow, have seen worse though....you sure its not YOU pulling off to the right? ( too much finger through and over, around the trigger) I would think looking at the pictures it would shoot high and left?? but I am NOT "ballistician", nor schooled in the art or angles, and reactions ( push off of the bullet leaving the bore and surrounding gas dispersion....) too many variables to consider and formulate this early in the morning.
a GOOD cleanup and check of the crown/bore, and being concentric you'd need the proper diameter 'spud' and gauge or a muzzle crown cutter to "check it out"..............as I said to ME the crown looks alright, just needs a good cleanup, put a piece of 3mScotchbrite pad across the muzzle and push hard with your finger in the center and go round and round, stainless is fairly soft and this is easy enough to do. The "bore" (lands and grooves, is NOT, needs to be recut?? see what Ruger asks or tells you to do.......just may be something "else" causing the "way right" :wink:

Unk

Bearcat
Ah, back to Ruger. Curious, did you buy this revolver new?

You do know that you're supposed to use the grip and not the muzzle as a hammer?

Fairly new pistol with low round count...should let another shooter take it for a spin as may be an operator rather than equipment issue.

Can't really tell from your pix but crown and what little bit rifling I could see look suspect.

Best.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
What kind of cleaning rod do you use? Do you do a lot of scrubbing? What does the soot pattern look like after shooting? :shock:

Alpo

Bearcat
Looks like I haven't been proactive enough with cleaning the barrel.
Upon closer inspection, there's a moderate amount of copper fouling (possibly lead too).
Time to get a bore light.

Thanks for the answers everyone.