Fruitcake Anyone?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LDM

Blackhawk
My mom used to make a killer fruitcake. She used more nuts that fruit in it and would bake it in August. She would wrap it up and refrigerate it and every month she would baste it with rum and re-wrap. By the holidays, it was really ripe.

Years ago, I heard a tale of the great fruitcake conspiracy. It purported that only one batch of fruitcake was baked in the history of the world and that it just kept getting re-gifted but never eaten.

RonT said:
They have great fruitcakes:
www.collinstreet.com/ :)

Collin Street Bakery, Coriscana, TX that's the one I was thinking about. They make a GOOD fruit cake AND a lot of other great treats.

OFF SUBJECT: merle1948, I believe YOU might be the only one that liked the C-ration ham and lima beans. It probably would have been better if it had some other kind of beans, but lima beans are a high yield per acre bean so they were probably pretty cheap to buy to put into the rations. I actually do like lima beans when fixed in certain dishes.

BACK ON SUBJECT: I like fruit cake with lots of fruit and nuts and just enough cake to hold it together.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye

Hey, I actually liked ham and limas.....
[/quote]

When I was stationed in Korea, We had a guy from Tenn that LOVED the Ham and Lima Bean C-Rats; He was a country boy always talking about plowing the back 40 with a mule.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
RE: FRUIT CAKE
I had an Uncle (Dad's Brother) That always made Fruit Cakes for Christmas, He always wrapped them up in RUM soaked cloths to "age" a bit EXCEPT the one he sent my parents, He KNEW they were NON-ALCOHOL Christians; The FRUIT CAKE tasted GREAT any way !!

I love fruitcake.
While house hunting, I found fruitcake made by the Assumption Abbey in Ava, Missouri. I bought a bunch. When I went back to Ava, I bought more. They were for sale in a hardware store. On my last trip there, I bought the last two.
I don't think they made them this year.
Good morning coffee and fruitcake just seem to go together.

I'm sorry to say I wasn't in the military, so I don't know about the c-rations. BUT! My fruitcake turned out excellent.

I baked them in a tray surrounded by a larger pan with water so they didn't dry out. Dry fruitcake is the worst!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
375hh1973 said:
Cant stand it.

Had someone give us one a week ago.

Still trying to give it away.

Hi,

I've heard more than once there's only been one fruit cake ever made and it's just been regifted untold numbers of times!

My grandmother's fruitcake always went fast. She'd make rum balls every Christmas, plus a fruitcake. Whatever rum was left over from the rum balls got sprinkled on the fruitcake and let soak in for a day or so before cutting into it.

There were always a couple of the requisite "I hate fruitcake" comments among the tribe, but they were more in jest judging by how fast that fruitcake disappeared.

Rick C

toysoldier

Hunter
I like fruitcake, but much of what's out there is not very good. I just bought a "Kentucky Woods Bourbon Barrel Cake" to take to our family Christmas get-together. At $27 for a 3-pound cake, it better be good.

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
Rick Courtright said:
375hh1973 said:
Cant stand it.

Had someone give us one a week ago.

Still trying to give it away.

Hi,

I've heard more than once there's only been one fruit cake ever made and it's just been regifted untold numbers of times!

My grandmother's fruitcake always went fast. She'd make rum balls every Christmas, plus a fruitcake. Whatever rum was left over from the rum balls got sprinkled on the fruitcake and let soak in for a day or so before cutting into it.

There were always a couple of the requisite "I hate fruitcake" comments among the tribe, but they were more in jest judging by how fast that fruitcake disappeared.

Rick C

Rick I've told people for years Captain Morgan spiced rum and fruitcake go together like bread and butter. I usually let my fruitcake and rum soak inside my body.

I had an Aunt who made fruitcake every year, and it was horrible beyond description. But my Dad, her brother-in-law, had made the mistake of saying that our family loved it. So every year we got one, which ended up in the trash. When this Aunt was very ill and dying of cancer, she would still struggle and make one fruitcake, just for my family, every year. Her own family openly said that they hated her fruitcakes, but she seemed so proud that we "loved" it. She died thinking at least one family enjoyed her efforts.

When I was little, our neighbors brought us a really terrible cake. My parents gave it to the dog, she buried it out back. The next year, my mom was in the garden and dug up the same (now preserved) chocolate cake.

Merle1948

Buckeye
vito said:
I had an Aunt who made fruitcake every year, and it was horrible beyond description. But my Dad, her brother-in-law, had made the mistake of saying that our family loved it. So every year we got one, which ended up in the trash. When this Aunt was very ill and dying of cancer, she would still struggle and make one fruitcake, just for my family, every year. Her own family openly said that they hated her fruitcakes, but she seemed so proud that we "loved" it. She died thinking at least one family enjoyed her efforts.

It was kind of you to let her think that, I'm sure it was some comfort in her final days.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
wwb said:
Then, at the other extreme..... ham & lima beans.

Hi,

My Mom put every ham bone to good use in a pot full of limas some times, navy beans other times. I loved 'em both. I never could figure out how they could ruin ham and limas in C-rats, but the first time I had some, I became a true believer that it could be done!

Our local Army-Navy surplus store broke 'em down so you could buy what you liked. Fruitcake was always in short supply. Dunno if I ever saw fruit cocktail. Ham and limas? Seemed the stack of cans on that shelf never did go down.

Rick C