Found Aluminum Grip Frame Thanks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

17tombstone

Single-Sixer
Wanting to remove the steel XR3 grip frame(Flattop .44 Special) and replace With NXR3 Red aluminum frame but as I found out there are 2 different ear heights on the new models. I have a NM NXR3 Red but it has the shorter ears. Any help finding one would be appreciated. Thank you

Rocdoc

Buckeye
How to you tell difference in ear height by numbers on the frame? I got a takeoff XRN-3Red with a 9 below the number. Think is the short ear version, the little tabs on the cylinder mating surface slightly different place as well. Found all this out trying to fit it to another Ruger revolver.

17tombstone

Single-Sixer
Not sure by the number as I don't have one with the taller ears. Someone on the forum might be able to chime in. I will add measurements at least in the morning.

17tombstone

Single-Sixer
Easiest measurement for me to take that clearly shows the difference is using a set of calipers and from the top of the hole in ear to the end of the ear is .240-.250" on the short eared version. The newer NM is .300"+ with that same measurement. Hope that makes sense.

G2

Hunter
Chiming in :D Not so sure we should be discussing this in the Classifieds, sorry 8)

Measuring from the deck of the grip frame -to- top of ear.
XRN-3RED - 1.061 ,,,This is what I think most of us have laying around.

Tall Ear from a Mid Frame Stainless Flattop. - 1.108

Doing the math, ~ .047 difference.

This brings up the Question; What guns could/would be a donor for this sought after "tall ear" aluminum grip frame?

Thought; This might be accomplished using a Aluminum RW grip frame.
Recently saw he is doing some Aluminum grip frames, Bisley mid-page here.

https://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/26528/brass-grip-frames-ronnie-wells?page=32

17tombstone

Single-Sixer
These came on ~2000 and newer non-flattop Blackhawks. Apologize for not making the WTB a little clearer. Thanks

10mm

Single-Sixer
I've got numerous aluminum grip frames, let me check the height tonight and Ill let you know. Been looking for a steel grip frame, maybe we can work a trade.

10mm

Single-Sixer
Looks like I have both tall and short eared grip frames. PM me if you want pictures with calipers measuring the height.
Thank you,
10mm