Flat Bolt .243

Help Support Ruger Forum:

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
All,

I own several Rugers and convinced myself a few months back that I 'needed' a flat bolt to be a true fan. Last night I stumbled across one that I plan to buy in a shop I really like to visit. It is a .243 Win and has sights. I believe the serial number was 70-11XXX, placing it in late 69 or early 70. The condition was a solid 98%, if not better.

I have a few questions:
1) Is there any way to tell if this was an RS, or if it was shipped without rings?
2) I've read some posts that talk about a slotted front sight, which I believe this one has. What does that do in terms of rarity/value?
3) I've also read some posts that talk about a contoured vs. straight stock on the right side of the action. Which is preferred?

I plan on buying the rifle independent of the answers to these questions, but I am just curious and want to understand a bit more.

Thanks in advance for your help.

SR

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
The RS and S are exactly the same. The only way to tell the difference is get a letter stating it was shipped as an S or have the original box

The slotted sight shows up on the first few guns until they ran out of those sights (the old parts bin again)

The cut down stock appeared as the guns were finished. I believe the highest known RS without the cut down stock is in the 70-14xxx range.

Below are pics of what we are talking about:

3DTESTIFY

Single-Sixer
Any Flatbolt RS in .243 is very scarce. If the front sight base is grooved for a hood, the rifle would be extremely rare.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
All,

I picked up the rifle earlier this week. It is a nice, 99% RS flat bolt. It's a really nice looking gun.

The front sight is not slotted.

Thanks for your help,

SR