Finally got to shoot my 9mm Speed Six, me likee!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Timber Wolf

Single-Sixer
Finally found some time to get out to the range with some old and old but new-to-me pistols this past Saturday. One of them was my recent pawn-shop-rescue 9mm Speed Six, and I like it a lot just like I knew I would. I had filled several Ranch Products full-moon and third-moon clips with some ancient 9mm cast reloads I wanted to be shed of. They were loaded with a funky Lee tumble lube truncated cone bullet that looks like heck but actually feeds great and shoots very accurately through almost every semi-auto 9mm I have tried it in. I loaded them as cast and aloe-lubed without sizing and they may be a little fat. I know they shot very accurately out of the Speed Six. They are every bit as accurate as I can shoot a snub revolver anyway. The cylinder did hang up a couple of times when using the full moons but never with the third moons. I don't really know why except I suppose the third moons just allow things to even out and lay flat and not allow "tolerance stacking" to bind the cylinder. I will try some factory 9mm and see if I can duplicate the binding. I also like the way the third-moons load a little better than the full-moons. With these reloads I had to really wiggle and hold my mouth just right and stuff to get all six to align and drop in all at once. I had not noticed this the few times I loaded round profiled factory ammo in the cylinder. The little third-moons drop in nice and are pretty quick to insert the cartridges into too. The loaded third moons also fit in a regular ammo box. I am glad they work well as I bought a 100 of them and three of them are still cheaper than one full moon! I also got a 100 of the .45 ACP size third-moons and will be interested to see how they work and if I like them as well in my Colt & S&W .45 ACP revolvers. I had some issues with another pistol and the range was pretty crowded and my daughter did not want to shoot but heck, even a bad time at the range is better than working or cutting the grass!

tjironhorse

Single-Sixer
Glad to hear you really like the speed six. I just got one in 9mm last week. 2 3/4" stainless version. Havent had a chance to shoot it though. I have a dozen 1/2 moon clips and a dozen full moon clips. Just loading the gun and cocking the hammer, the full moon does appear to hang up a bit, but not the halfs. range time will tell.
Again, congrtas on the gun. Enjoy it.
TJ

Smokngun

Single-Sixer
I just shot mine yesterday. Same model as tjironhorse. IT is one accurate pistol. I could fire double action very fast and stay on target. You will love it. I am going to get some badger grips for mine. Where can half moon clips be found?

tjironhorse

Single-Sixer
Smokngun said:
I just shot mine yesterday. Same model as tjironhorse. IT is one accurate pistol. I could fire double action very fast and stay on target. You will love it. I am going to get some badger grips for mine. Where can half moon clips be found?

Now I'm more anxious to get to the range than before. Yet another happy Speed six owner. You might try Ruger for the 1/2 moon clips. I was lucky enough to get them with the gun. Auction didnt mention them, but seller included them. Very glad about that. Just saw a dozen sell on e bay yesterday for about $28.
TJ