Factory custom?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
End label shows it was in the UGB.
Also clearly says it's BLUED.
NVB means "New Vaquero with blued cylinder frame".
Without copies of his paperwork, it ain't what he claims it to be.

Dan in MI

Staff member
He replied.

I'll see what I can do without including names of individuals involved. I'm not sure what I can provide that would be useful for you, but I'll try. You can call me at the shop after 0930 EDT this morning at 603.xxx-xxxx if you like. I can describe what I have to you then.
Thanks for the inquiry,

I called. He seems to be legit. He said Chad (Red Eagle News) stops by his shop on occasion. Apparently he used to buy a lot of used Rugers from the factory until the regime change.

UGB = Used Gun Bank

Long story about this gun and another. They won't letter, but he has the all thransfer and repair orders. The guns were built for an AZ employee and for whatever reason went to AZ and were rejected and came back. The pages he was reading from has names dates etc... Completely tracking it's early life. He won't post a pic due to the names. I suggested he block out the names and take pics. I'm supposed to have those coming in email.

He replied.

I called. He seems to be legit. He said Chad (Red Eagle News) stops by his shop on occasion. Apparently he used to buy a lot of used Rugers from the factory until the regime change.

UGB = Used Gun Bank

Long story about this gun and another. They won't letter, but he has the all thransfer and repair orders. The guns were built for an AZ employee and for whatever reason went to AZ and were rejected and came back. The pages he was reading from has names dates etc... Completely tracking it's early life. He won't post a pic due to the names. I suggested he block out the names and take pics. I'm supposed to have those coming in email.
Very interesting, I wonder if Chad is familiar with this gun?

There are many one offs that have come out of the factory, i have seen some of them myself, the problem with this gun is if it doesn't letter then the seller needs to show the paperwork/work order etc which specifically references THAT serial number and clearly states that the stainless parts were authorized by the factory.

I may have to take a ride up to see the paper work myself, the UGB marking means that the gun was sold for less than normal retail…because it was a used gun (UGB=Used Gun Bank)

WE cannot even tell IF the serial number on the frame matches the label on the box, most likely it DOESN'T because the case is for a gun with a blued main frame and the revolver has a stainless main frame…that alone will tell the tale, IF the factory stamped the same serial number on a stainless frame and destroyed the blued frame…now that would be a unique one-of-a-kind revolver! However, the two hammers suggests after production changes, the grip panels could have been a one off sample, etc. The fact that they won't letter tells me that the employee was able to have 'repairs/work' done that normally the factory would NOT do for non-connected individuals. Unless the serial number is the same, this gun is just a conglomeration of factory parts for different model revolvers and NOT a special model that makes this a 2K revolver, but YMMV.

I don't believe that Chad has been up to Newport for twenty or so years! (But I could be wrong about that!)

Dan in MI

Staff member
OK he scanned three or four pages blocking out name and serial number (crucial bit) There is more on the pages, but mostly travel directions. No work order specifying the work performed that I saw. This is the most interesting bit.

Capture ruger.JPG

There are many one offs that have come out of the factory, i have seen some of them myself, the problem with this gun is if it doesn't letter then the seller needs to show the paperwork/work order etc which specifically references THAT serial number and clearly states that the stainless parts were authorized by the factory.

I may have to take a ride up to see the paper work myself, the UGB marking means that the gun was sold for less than normal retail…because it was a used gun (UGB=Used Gun Bank)

WE cannot even tell IF the serial number on the frame matches the label on the box, most likely it DOESN'T because the case is for a gun with a blued main frame and the revolver has a stainless main frame…that alone will tell the tale, IF the factory stamped the same serial number on a stainless frame and destroyed the blued frame…now that would be a unique one-of-a-kind revolver! However, the two hammers suggests after production changes, the grip panels could have been a one off sample, etc. The fact that they won't letter tells me that the employee was able to have 'repairs/work' done that normally the factory would NOT do for non-connected individuals. Unless the serial number is the same, this gun is just a conglomeration of factory parts for different model revolvers and NOT a special model that makes this a 2K revolver, but YMMV.

I don't believe that Chad has been up to Newport for twenty or so years! (But I could be wrong about that!)
The serial number on the box is the same as the one on the stainless frame. You're right, Chad has not been to town in a long time. I've been at this location in Newport for 28 years now and he has been in my shop. I have all the paperwork that you mention.

Well we have tons of people on here swapping hammers and grip frames. Get the gun if it's what you want. If they're claiming any kind of factory enhancement without a letter forget it.

Blackmore

Blackhawk
OK he scanned three or four pages blocking out name and serial number (crucial bit) There is more on the pages, but mostly travel directions. No work order specifying the work performed that I saw. This is the most interesting bit.

View attachment 30872

Brenda's been retired for a while but she was always my "go to" in customer service.

Stoneagle, Rody's and another dealer used to have UGB privileges before the new regime yanked them. Many interesting one-offs would appear but quickly get sold. The late "Stretch" Kennedy got a lot of them.