ernie pile

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Not personally--I came along after the war--but a former client, retired Navy, told a story about him. My guy loved picking out old timers at the mall while his wife was shopping and talking to them about their service, especially in WWII if they'd served then. One day he met a fellow who told him a story about this war correspondent with their unit in the South Pacific, and how he was there the day that reporter was killed (by a sniper, if I recall.)

He told my guy, "Son, you've probably never heard of him, but he was fairly well known at the time. Name was Ernie Pyle."

My guy said he just about dropped his jaw: Ernie Pyle was one of the people he'd studied a fair amount...

Rick C

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The movie The Story of G.I.Joe was about Ernie Pyle. I believe Burgess Meredith played Ernie Pyle. And it had Robert Mitchum in his first starring role.

Bob Wright

blackhawknj

Buckeye
Years ago I knew a doctor, served in the 77th Infantry Division on Okinawa, he said he was with Ernie Pyle the night before he was killed.

SAJohn

Hunter
Here is Ernie's most famous war article:
https://loa-shared.s3.amazonaws.com/static/pdf/Pyle_Captain_Waskow.pdf

At least one of his books should be required reading for all Americans.

wwb

Hunter
Another great WW II writer (actually a cartoonist) was Bill Mauldin. His collection of cartoons shows the wry humor of a grunt in wartime (he was initially an infantryman). If you haven't read "Up Front", I seriously recommend it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/242654.Up_Front

Rancher Will

Blackhawk
Thank you all for the above, I reminds me of another War Correspondent.

David Douglas Duncan was with our unit in Korea in 1951 and his photographs were widely published in news during that time. I personally met Duncan a number of times in Korea and enjoyed visiting him. Years after the war, a book of Duncan's photos taken in the Korean, WW-II, and other wars, was published and I believe is still available where books are sold.

I remember Duncan telling me how he happened to be the first person to ever use Nikon Cameras before they were even on the market. All other correspondents that I ever saw used 3 by 5 or similar cameras as did the USAF Combat cameramen.

Duncan said that one week when he was in Japan on a break from Korean War action, he had been contacted by a Nikon executive. The Nikon man asked Duncan if he would be willing to try using a new 35mm camera, just developed by Nikon, intended to be used by serious photographers. Duncan said he was dubious but agreed to try it.

He was given four Nikon 35mm cameras that he took back to Korea and those cameras were used by Duncan from that time on for all of his War Correspondent work.

I read Ernie Pyle's book "Here Is Your War" when I was in 6th grade, and really thought it was good. Couple years ago I tried to check out a copy from the library in Colorado Springs for my nephew to read, and was astonished to find that they didn't have any of his books in the system. The female librarian was equally surprised, as she had read one of his books in school as well.

CGDustDevil

Buckeye
Bob Wright said:
The movie The Story of G.I.Joe was about Ernie Pyle. I believe Burgess Meredith played Ernie Pyle. And it had Robert Mitchum in his first starring role.

Bob Wright

The Story of G.I. Joe is a fantastic picture. Directed by William Wellman... I don't think there is a single Wellman picture that I don't like. Pyle was a willing participant in the production, but was killed shortly after the release. I've never been clear whether or not Pyle ever got to see the completed project. It's said that Pyle wasn't crazy about the title.

Meredith, a stellar actor, was great as Pyle. Mitchum's character (Lt Walker) didn't survive the picture, but his career sure did!

sgtjimh

Single-Sixer
WIL TERRY said:
Of course, been to his former home in
Dana, IN.
Kindly correct the spelling of his name. Sir !

And so it goes...

So he is remembered. Up for karma is his book "Brave Men". looks like the 10th printing from 1945. I will pick a winner on Thanksgiving.