Decocking

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugeron

Bearcat
I just purchased a new SR1911 Commander and have never owned a Hammer Type Pistol. What is the advisable method of De-cocking with a round in the chamber?

Snake45

Hawkeye
"Condition Two" (hammer down on a live round) isn't often recommended for 1911s anymore, although some old-timers (one of which I might or might not be) still prefer it for certain circumstances (or at least still enjoy the concept of the option).

I've been practicing it for years and can do it one-handed, left OR right, with either a standard or Commander hammer (the Commander hammer is definitely more difficult).

But here's about the safest way I can think of for a newcomer:

1. Grip gun securely in firing grip. With left thumb, pull hammer all the way back (this way you KNOW you have control of it before you pull the trigger).

2. Pull trigger. Lower hammer about a third of the way (or till you're sure you're past the fullcock notch). Release trigger.

3. Gently lower hammer into half-cock notch.

4. Now pull hammer just out of half-cock notch, pull trigger, and lower hammer rest of way down.

Doing the half-cock dance adds a step and a little complication but it minimizes the risk that you'll lose control of the hammer at some point. A healthy 1911 will NOT fire if the hammer is dropped from the half-cock position, or just past it.

DGW1949

Hunter
Re-read Snake's answer. He is telling you right.

My own .02 :
Condition 2 can be very dangerous...or not...depending on the gun, and the operator.
I routinely carry either a 1911A1 or a BHP in condition 2....but....I've used both platforms that way for many years and know what I'm about. You may also note that all of my carry-autos use a spur hammer and that my 1911A1 retains it's stock grip safety. In the case of the 1911 (and 1911A1), both it's hammer AND grip safety were designed in a manner which aids in "one-hand decocking"....the new-fangled spur hammers and beaver-tails weren't.
In other words, IF I was new to the "1911" platform and IF I was dead-set on carrying one in condition 2 (which nessesitates de-cocking), I'd have a 1911-type (wide spur) hammer fitted to it. That, and steer clear of beaver-tails, super-lite triggers, and/or anything else that might add to the risk of my loosing control of the hammer......but that's just me, I'm one of them "Old timers" that Snake mentioned.

Stay safe.

DGW

Snake45

Hawkeye
Rabon said:
Just curious, why would you want to decoct a 1911 with a round in the chamber ?
That's a good question.

If you need an answer, you prolly wouldn't understand one. :wink:

(DGW will understand what I mean.) :wink:

DGW1949

Hunter
Rabon said:
Just curious, why would you want to decock a 1911 with a round in the chamber ?

I don't know why the OP posed the question, you'd have to ask him.
I do however, know why I do....'cause ya can't carry in condition 2 unless you do. :lol: .

DGW

Snake45

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
Rabon said:
Just curious, why would you want to decock a 1911 with a round in the chamber ?

I don't know why the OP posed the question, you'd have to ask him.
I do however, know why I do....'cause ya can't carry in condition 2 unless you do. :lol: .

DGW
You just reminded me of a great line I got from Mas Ayoob.

If anyone (even a cop) ever asks you why you have a giant 4-D-cell Maglite (or similar), you look at them like they might be a little bit stupid and reply: "To see in the dark." :shock:

(My own smartass suggestion: "Same reason you do, officer." ) :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rugeron

Bearcat
Thank You All for answering my question. I guess the reason I asked it was because I thought it was safer to have it de-cocked if I was storing it loaded in my safe.

accessbob

Bearcat
I prefer to leave it at Condition 1 and think of the thumb safety, grip safety, and the fact that the trigger needs pulling at the same time those others have been disabled to fire as more of a safer way than to risk anything to decock. But that's me. I figure the less I mess with it, the less chance it has of going off when I don't want it to. And that includes in my safe. Oh, and I forgot to include it is holstered when in the safe as well.

BTS

Bearcat
I can laugh about this now…

My friend had a new Springfield 1911, but didn't know much about them. We were all new once, right?

At any rate, he attempts to show me how it is "safer" to keep the hammer down on a loaded round rather than have that "dangerous hammer" ready to strike.

"Lower it just like this…" BOOM! Man, that lamp never knew what hit it! One shot furniture stop. :lol:

Since then, I've owned 4 1911's and not sure I ever felt the need to lower the hammer on a loaded round. :wink:

Just my thoughts. Be safe.

Arky

Single-Sixer
This is a really weird topic for a guy that is "a little older" like me. Letting the hammer down is a natural part of guns and I have never considered it unsafe or something I need to learn to do. My first few guns all had hammers. At 11 years old I had a 20 ga. single barrel with a hammer and if the rabbit ran behind some brush before I could shoot I let the hammer down and then moved it back to the safety notch. The first step is not the internet correct step of "first point your gun in a safe direction". Your gun is always pointed in a safe direction. I still hunt with lever guns and revolvers a lot and sometimes have to let the hammer down and have never had a problem. On the other hand I do not mind pulling the hammer back to shoot because that is a natural thing too and the hammer is made to pull back easily on most rifles and revolvers. Some 1911 hammers do not have a long spur so cocked and locked seems natural and no less safe to carry than other types. I do think a good holster designed for your gun adds a lot to safety.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Thank You All for answering my question. I guess the reason I asked it was because I thought it was safer to have it de-cocked if I was storing it loaded in my safe.

If it's gonna be in the safe...why not just clear the chamber?

Rodfac

Blackhawk
+1 on 1911's answer...If it's out, and in use, I keep mine cocked and locked. In the safe, it's unloaded, chamber and magazine. Holster or bedside table, cocked and locked. While I have de-cocked a loaded 1911 many times, there is little excuse to do so, IMHO. The alternative is to drop the magazine, and rack the slide while complying with the four basic rules of gun safety, a better alternative in my estimation. Rod

The four rules:
All guns are always treated as loaded.
Never allow the muzzle to 'cover' (point at) at any thing you are not willing to destroy.
Keep your finger off the trigger until you are aligned with the intended target.
Pick your target but be aware of what's in front of or behind it as you are accountable for all bullets that you fire.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Questions like this always amaze me. Take a Series 80 Colt. Take off the grip safety. Take off the thumb safety. Make the trigger pull 7 lbs. When the hammer is back on a live round you have a Glock, but nobody is afraid of Glocks. Rack the slide on a Glock and put a round in the chamber. You just cocked the striker and have no thumb safety and no grip safety; nothing but you and that twinkle trigger between Glock leg or Glock foot.

On a more series note point the pistol in a known safe direction. I used to do this when I carried DA autos with decocker/safeties on them like my Ruger P90 and still do it when I shoot single actions revolvers like the Ruger Blackhawk. Always point it like you think it will go off when the hammer goes down and you will be safe.

5of7

Hunter
What I do is this. with the gun in the shooting hand, place the thumb of the other hand firmly between the hammer and the slide, pull the trigger, then release the trigger, then lower the hammer to half-cock. 8)

Ethang

Blackhawk
If you have the need to decock a 1911 on a loaded chamber, you should re-think your pistol choice. For storage in the safe chamber empty, for carry, cocked and locked as God and John Browning intended. Anything else, unload it.

Sorry if that comes across as harsh, but the 1911 is not for everybody. When I see somebody carrying one with the hammer down I can't help but think they would be better served with a weapon designed to be carried that way.

accessbob

Bearcat
Ethang said:
If you have the need to decock a 1911 on a loaded chamber, you should re-think your pistol choice. For storage in the safe chamber empty, for carry, cocked and locked as God and John Browning intended. Anything else, unload it.

Sorry if that comes across as harsh, but the 1911 is not for everybody. When I see somebody carrying one with the hammer down I can't help but think they would be better served with a weapon designed to be carried that way.
thumbsupsmile.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
Ethang said:

What you say makes perfect, logical, technical sense, of course, but there are still a lot of "auld pharts" around who are comfortable with "Condition Two" in at least some circumstances. :wink:

DGW1949

Hunter
Snake45 said:
Ethang said:

What you say makes perfect, logical, technical sense, of course, but there are still a lot of "auld pharts" around who are comfortable with "Condition Two" in at least some circumstances. :wink:

And besides all that, who here can say what "JMB intended"?
If ya ask me, the original 1911 hammer was made in a manner intended to facilitate thumb-cocking....and....that the later variations of hammers were either due to cost-cutting, or to make certain models easier to conceal.
When ya get down to it, this whole debate is based on the ideas that thumb-cocking is dangerous and that lowering a cocked-hammer is dangerous....so....you guys tell me this;

Who all here applies that particular logic to their revolvers......and how many manufactures are there which furnish a thumb safety so's a SA revolver can be carried cocked 'n locked?....after all, are not the same operating principles involved there?
And just in passing, ya do know that when at rest, the hammer of a 1911 does NOT cause the firing pin to touch the primer of a chambered round, eh?

Aint saying that anyone else should carry their own gun as I carry mine....just sayin' that a lot of fears are born from ignorance....well that, and maybe we shouldn't be so quick to believe everything we read from the gun rag "experts".

DGW

scottl

Bearcat
Ethang said:
For storage in the safe chamber empty, for carry, cocked and locked as God and John Browning intended. Anything else, unload it.
Are you sure about that?
The pistol JMB designed:
19111.jpg

Thumb safety was a requirement of the military.