SOLD Custom T/C Encore, 460 S&W

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have decided to part with my last hunting hand canon. This has been spot on for over a decade, and fired very little, just over 180 shots fired thru it since built new.

The action is Custom tuned by Steve Stratton Customs, of Hurricane UT., father of the MGM Machine owners, his sons. It is around a 2.5# trigger pull crisp as an icicle with over travele screw installed, and uses Cecil Epps locker pin and includes the Pachmyer furniture w/recoil tamer grip. Sling is included.

The barrel is a Shillen Select Match .452" full Bull 14" with a Ross brake that is threaded, and pinned! It tames recoil beyond belief, and at 69 years old I can still shoot it of a bag one handed comfortably. I had it pinned last year because I wanted to use it in a rifle stock, and in my state, the brake has to pinned to be legally considered over 16", and it 16 1/4" I believe is legal as a rifle in any state.

The 2x7x32 posi-lock Burris pistol scope with Balistic- Plex reticle has held zero since it went on. Last year it looked darker than normal, and was sent back to Burris where it got a new glass, and a perfect stamp of approval. Optically new!

I have 60 pieces of once fired factory Hornady brass, and 50 once fired Starline Brass as well as 18- Hornady 200 grain FTX bullets. This is my main load @ 2574 fps. it shoots under 1" for 5 shots at 100 yards, and right around 1 3/4" for 200 yards when I do my part at the bench.
$1500.00 FTF in the MI. OH. In. Tri-state Area, with paper work on the buyer. or shipping is on the buyer my ffl to yours.
1000000713.jpg

1000001615.jpg

1000001616.jpg

1000001618.jpg

Last edited:

FFguide

Bearcat
Excellent setup. Very reasonable price. Why? Consider that Thompson Center closed their doors shortly after S&W bought TC, Shameful. Look at the price of used TC Encore SS Pro Hunter Frames. Very expensive. Also Pachmayr which in my opinion is the premium grip for TC Encores, does not make them anymore. If you can find a used set, they are also expensive. Plus with lots of brass, bullets and scope.

How do I know such info. I hunt with three Encore Pro Hunter Stainless Steel handguns. 1) 460 S&W with factory barrel. 2) 7mm.08 with a TC factory barrel and 3) 358 Winchester custom bull barrel from Bullberry Barrels in Hurricane, UT.
I tip my hat to Wildcatter for hunting with an TC handgun and offering such a nice deal to a lucky buyer. If only I didn't have what I have. Good luck with your sale. FFguide

Thank you much ffguide! True and even if you had the money, I don't know where you would get the mount, or the oversized screws for a six hole, that only works on A Full Bull Barrel, very welcome, not to .mention, the Ross brake which I don't think is available today, or equalled in function.

I have a screw up on that target, it is 100 yards, however I have never shot a light jacketed XTP pistol bullet in this hand canon!

Those 5 shots were with the load described, using the 200 grain FTX bullet specifically designed for this higher velocity cartridge, with a heavier jacket, specifically for big game.

Sorry for the mistake. But using even the magnum XTP 's in this gun would be only good for varmints you want to see explode like they were hit by a grenade.

Over $2300.00 to put this gun together today, but MGM won't offer any Match Barrels today, only there own in house barrels, Ross brakes are no longer available, Steve Stranton no longer does Custom Encore Actions. As matter of fact just to buy a Stainless Encore action today they are going for over $600.00. Good luck finding the Burris with both the Ballistic Plex and Posi Lock!

The 6 screw scope mount is, but only in #6 size screws, the cost to upgrade to the larger #8 screws would be about 10 to 15 dollars a hole to drill and tap each!

Sorry folks, but there will be no reduced price on this. I really don't want to move it to Gunbroker, but it will bring a bit more there if I need to. We'll give it a little longer here, but price is firm.

Brant

Bearcat
That is a fine piece of equipment! If I was already over extended on my gunfunds, with one on layaway with a friend, I would jump on this!

I don't think you can get a stainless frame for $600. If no one jumps on it here, I bet you can get asking price or more on gb. Good luck!

Ranger

Single-Sixer
Good price on a great gun. Doing my best to ignore; but keep coming back to look at. Someone else needs to buy this soon!

Ranger

Single-Sixer
Congrats Sergeant! I have a S&W revolver in .460 and a contender in .223 so I kept telling myself this one didn't fill a "need"; but my resolve was really weakening!

Catter: That is an impressive gun. You did a fine job putting it all together.