Cleaning the 22lr

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGNY

Bearcat
A few years ago I bought a nice clean Marlin 39a. Turned out it was not accurate with usual ammo types. Reason - oval muzzle from zealous cleaning..Unbelievable.

I had quit cleaning 22 bores years before, UNLESS there was an issue. As others have said, this does not apply to semi-auto bolts and breech faces. I also clean those chambers with a couple Q-tips lightly moistened with CLP. Then take a look to be sure nothing was pushed into bore. Works like a charm.

I do clean 22 revolvers using much care at muzzle. And the cylinder, using a patch over Q-tips. On short barrels I push patched Q-tips from rear of bbl forward.

Regards,

Dyson

Snake45

Hawkeye
DGNY":2295gpv4 said:
I had quit cleaning 22 bores years before, UNLESS there was an issue. As others have said, this does not apply to semi-auto bolts and breech faces. I also clean those chambers with a couple Q-tips lightly moistened with CLP. Then take a look to be sure nothing was pushed into bore. Works like a charm.

Dyson
Good advice. I clean my chambers with Hoppe's but the principle is the same. I don't clean the bores unless I notice accuracy drop off.

I DO brush out the chambers of .22 revolvers and toothbrush under the extractor star ever 100-150 rounds. Although last week I went 300 rounds before the brush-out and the gun (a Smith 17) ran just fine. Ammo was Federal Walmart Bulk, which I find to be very clean shooting. Some brands of .22 will require a revolver brush-out with as few as 50 rounds.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
tiger955":1urpem8z said:
My grand dad didn't like cleaning his old Mod 94 from the bore with a rod cause he said it just pushed the gunk into the action

Hi,

An old timer taught me this at an early age:

Push the rod thru the barrel from the muzzle, w/ no attachment. Action's open, of course!

Attach your patch holder and patch, brush, etc. and pull back out thru the barrel.

W/ a bit of practice, it's much quicker and easier than it seems. Works for revolvers, too...

Rick C