Central Coast Deer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

john guedry

Single-Sixer
Nice pics thanks for posting. At the risk of sounding stupid, just where is this?

GetGunz

Single-Sixer
john guedry said:
Nice pics thanks for posting. At the risk of sounding stupid, just where is this?

"Central Coast" that sounds like Cali (Southern/Central/Northern) and they were distinct parts of the State when I was out there in late 80's and early 90's.

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
It's northern Santa Barbara County. Along the coast obviously. Inland is a bit dryer right now. I was out there hog hunting. (Pics in the Hunting forum.) As screwed up as California can be politically, it's a beautiful part of America with some exciting hog hunting.

Those pix sure bring back some memories. When I was a kid at UCSB in the early 1960s, we used to hunt a big canyon just south and inland from the Gaviota Pass on Highway 101 that we called "The Deer Factory" because it was full of whatever deer they have there. We never decided if they were Columbian Blacktails like they have a little north of there, or Desert Mule Deer like they have a little east of there. Maybe they were hybrids. Unfortunately we could just as easily called that place "The Tick Factory" too--heavy chaparral that bred deer and ticks. Probably pretty near to that site in the pictures; just over the mountain. Deer there now fatten up on wine grape leaves!

My only "deer rifle" in those days was my grandfather's Win '92 in .25-20. At the ranges we had to shoot, it worked just fine, as long as you knew enough not to shoot at a running deer. We left that to one of our rich buddies who had a Win 88 in .308. Later I found out that my deer rifle was illegal for deer hunting in CA at that time....wonder if the statute of limitations has run out?

Facing south, toward Mexico.

The green stuff is mostly coastal sage scrub, the trees are mostly Eucalyptus from Horse-trail-yer. The spiky looking ground hugging stuff in the foreground of the first pic is one of our many species of iceplant, mainly emigrants from the Cape area of South Africa brought here because they gots priddy flowers. Now real pests.

The brush in the background of the second picture is the beginning of a chaparral slope, MUCH taller and thicker brush than sage scrub. You have to learn to thread your rifle bullet thru that stuff; it is as tough and bullet-proof as iron.

The pretty bright yellow flowers on the ravine in the last picture are probably California Goldbush, or Encelia, common name Coastal Sunflower.

Those last two are native to California but many of the plants there are not--our emigrant issues are human-caused but not ENTIRELY human....

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Lots of memories there! Early '70s, a college friend lived in Lompoc, a buddy's sister went to UCSB and another buddy went to Cal Poly SLO, so there were lots of excuses to make sure Hwy 101 was in good shape in that neighborhood. Didn't hunt any of the area, but did go shooting a little further up on occasion. Even today, a trip thru there takes me back decades. Especially if the Amtrak's running along side the highway on those rails.

Rumor has it if one stops in Santa Barbara, the original (and only surviving?) Sambo's is still there. http://www.sambosrestaurant.com/ There were more than a few times we tried to run 'em out of coffee in the middle of the night!

Rick C

Zorba

Bearcat
Beautiful pictures - but Santa Barbara is southern California, not central.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Zorba said:
Beautiful pictures - but Santa Barbara is southern California, not central.

Hi,

True, but that part of the coast from about Goleta to around Santa Cruz has been referred to as the Central Coast at least since I was a wee rat in the '50s. Geographically, San Francisco's far more "central" than "northern" (in a north-south comparison), too, but don't try to convince anyone from the Bay Area of that! ;)

And continuing the trivia, when someone here in CA says "I live in the South Bay," where do they mean? I know I've lived in two of the three I'm aware of! :)

Rick C

And the Gaviota Pass I mentioned USED to be the "border" between Northern and Southern California, back when everything north of the San Francisco Bay was Russia, and everything south was Mexico. Gaviota was where the southerners always tried to stop the Northerners from "invading" Southern California, in their frequent bouts of Mexican politics. ("Voting" was by musket, lance, facon, and field piece....).

There are still some "issues" between the two "ends" of the state. As a Northerner living in the south, I don't take sides. Just glad not to be living in Russia or Mexico....

Latest posts