Browning BLR 308

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cal44

Bearcat
I just added the first Browning to my lever action rifle collection.

A BLR in 308 Win.

This one is an early 80's model with the steel receiver.

BLRs use a magazine similar to a bolt action rifle. So, Browning chambers them in "normal" rifle calibers. You can use spire point bullets because the rounds are not in a tube magazine like most other lever actions.

Does anyone else have a BLR?

Here is a picture:

attachment.php

m657

Buckeye
I had that exact model in the early 80s.

Loved it, it was quite accurate and carried well with a compact scope mounted.

The only down side for me, was after about 3 shots the barrel warmed up considerable and made the 100 yd groups widen.

Don't recall how I got talked out of mine.....oh, wait....it belonged to a buddy & he insisted I give it back despite my offers to feed & clothe it indefinitely.

Congratulations, these are getting rather scarce in my area in this caliber.

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
I have a BLR Stainless with camo soft touch and aluminum receiver in 325 WSM. I was at the range yesterday, five shoots under one inch at 100 yards. 200gr Accubonds, H4350 powder.

chuck

Blackhawk
m657 said:
I had that exact model in the early 80s.

Loved it, it was quite accurate and carried well with a compact scope mounted.

The only down side for me, was after about 3 shots the barrel warmed up considerable and made the 100 yd groups widen.

Don't recall how I got talked out of mine.....oh, wait....it belonged to a buddy & he insisted I give it back despite my offers to feed & clothe it indefinitely.

Congratulations, these are getting rather scare in my area in this caliber.
I have one the first 2 shots will go into one hole the 3rd will go one inch high all at 100 yards, I just figure the 3rd shot is a built in lead.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
I had one back in the 90's. First Browning I ever owned and .308 I ever owned. Bought it used from the gun shop where I was employed part time. Used it for all of 5 or 6 seasons and accounted for a deer or two every year. Wish I still had it. Ex and I were divorcing and I needed money to pay for a lawyer. Instead of selling one of my 3 Ruger rifles, I sold the Browning.

Used Brownings in this model and caliber are hard to come by. I still haven't found a replacement. I'd even settle for a 257 Roberts or 7mm08 if I came across one. :(

GD1656

Single-Sixer
I have an earlier Belgium made BLR with the magazine that hangs a little lower.Killed my biggest buck in Ga. with it.Great treestand gun.

Voyager28

Single-Sixer
I have a BLR Takedown in 30-06. VERY accurate rifle with which I have taken a multitude of different game animals, up to and including a Brown Bear.

Bob

Nice looking rifle there. I have had several over the years and they all shot very good to great. My current one is .358 Win and will cluster 200 gr Hornady Spirepoints into very tight groups. I may look for another in 7-08 also.

Mike

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
I bought one for my father about 20 years ago when he retired. Don't know how many deer that gun has accounted for since but its been a pile.

MacEntyre

Single-Sixer
I have a Belgian BLR 308 from the first year of production. It's the only levergun that I have scoped... Trijicon 1-4X with IR that cost as much as the rifle. It's going to kill Bambi on Saturday!

rangerbob

Buckeye
I have a BLR in 358 Winchester and another in 450 Marlin. I bought my daughter a BLR in 308 for a do all rifle in California. Really fine rifles!! Bob! :D

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I have some "odd" lever actions - Savage 99, Ruger 96, Browning 71 & Winchester 88. I've always had the BLR on my "next buy" list. Are they all takedown, and how's the trigger? It can't be worse than the 88 ....

rangerbob

Buckeye
dfletcher, BLR's come in solid frame and takedown. Mine are all solid frame. Accuracy rivals anything out there, the triggers are doable, and they have slick actions and feed flawlessly. I meant to get one in 325 WSM, but may have missed out on that. Bob! :mrgreen:

MYBABYISA44MAG

Single-Sixer
Have a BLR in 30-06....I can't hit the broad side of a barn with the thing either...but I love to shoot it...go figure lol.

BRASS FRAME

Single-Sixer
I bought my BLR new in 1971 to hunt deer in Pa. It is in .308 and was made in Belgium. I have the original box and bill of sale. I harvested many deer with it and it new sets in my safe, waiting for one of my Grandsons. It never failed me and wears a vintage Redfield, scope with the egg shape lens for shooting running deer. I believe it is called the Widefield model? Brass Frame/Lee