Bought a New Mini Today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief 101

Hunter
same as what I do with 44 Carbine...would the mini 14 be accurate enough for up to 200yd varmints?

Go Navy

Bearcat
It's not really an expensive rifle compared to a lot of others. Of course it is more expensive than AKs, Mosin Nagants, Savages. But it's a quality, (maybe) mid priced rifle....a lot for the money.

As to leaning it against the wall behind a door, I don't do that, so I don't get your point there.

I bought it because I wanted it and I like it. In the unlikely bug out scenario, I'd probably take it and my Sig P226 pistol. I may do a coyote hunt. I may not. I enjoy plinking and shooting holes in paper. I wanted it, so I bought it.

If your point is that all gun purchases must be logical, justified, and rational, I'd disagree. Most of us purchase firearms because we want and like them, among other reasons. We also buy them because the anti-gun movement is relentless, esp. against semi-auto anything, and they'll never quit. Those are reasons why guys fill up their gun safes!

Go Navy

Bearcat
Chief 101 said:
same as what I do with 44 Carbine...would the mini 14 be accurate enough for up to 200yd varmints?

Probably not prairie dogs, but you'd get a few and educate the rest. Coyotes, yes. Western jackrabbits, yes. Both with good glass on the rifle.

Go Navy

Bearcat
As promised, here are two pictures. One shows the new barrel contour for those who aren't aware of this. "New" means 2005, I think. So when you see a Mini-14 on the wall at a gun shop, you can immediately see whether it is the newer version or not. The barrel contour is different under the hand guard, too.

The other shows three drilled and tapped holes in the top of the receiver, plus a top view of the redesigned rear sight.

Based on a little internet research, Ruger redesigned the following bits (and probably more internally but I don't have that info):

Better, more uniform gas block.
Better front sight. The old ones were machined pressed to the barrel, which was thought to affect the barrel consistency.
New rear sight.
Top of receiver drilled and tapped with three holes for Ruger's included rail.
Receiver contours more rounded.
Rifling twist changed to 1:9 (don't know what it used to be).
New butt plate.
Hammer forged barrels, with larger diameter.

9qbcKc5.jpg

IAuUtdZ.jpg

DGW1949

Hunter
9x19 said:
Mine shoots the S&B 123gr soft points into 2" at 100 yards, when I am having a good day.

I have no worries about missing a deer or hog with it... but it would not be my first choice for a turkey shoot.

That's a real-good way to put it.....and spot on.

DGW

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Thank you one and all, you've opened my eyes more than expected. I've been looking at the older mini 5.56.I like wood with SS 18" barrel may be more accurate than new ones I hope.

Go Navy

Bearcat
sliclee said:
Thank you one and all, you've opened my eyes more than expected. I've been looking at the older mini 5.56.I like wood with SS 18" barrel may be more accurate than new ones I hope.

Sliclee....I hope I'm not misunderstanding you, but the older Mini, in any configuration, is not going to be more accurate than the new ones. But you can find used "new" models; just make sure the serial no. begins with 580 or more.

If you find a pre-580 that has been heavily modified for accuracy, it MIGHT, repeat, might, be more accurate than the new ones.

Stainless plus wood is a great looking combination.

oregon73

Blackhawk
sliclee said:

Reports indicate the newer Mini-14s are indeed more accurate than the older guns with the pencil barrel. Not to say you shouldn't buy an older stainless Mini. I own two and enjoy them for what they are--but they aren't extremely accurate. They are extremely reliable and a hoot to shoot. Nothing wrong with them at all but if you want a more accurate Mini, get one of the newer ones with the tapered barrel.

sliclee

Single-Sixer
60 years ago my M1 06 after removing grease etc, sighting in it shot 2 inches at 100 and 3 at 200 using sights it came with.
Why buy a rifle that doesnt shoot well, doesn't make sense.

Voyager28

Single-Sixer
sliclee said:
60 years ago my M1 06 after removing grease etc, sighting in it shot 2 inches at 100 and 3 at 200 using sights it came with.

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/rnbenton/DSC02148_zps80d81ba1.jpg

Mini Rancher at 200 yards. I think that qualifies as shooting well. :)

Bob

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Voyager28 said:
sliclee said:

Bob
Yes sir that is good. I would settle for that all day, thanks.

Go Navy

Bearcat
Voyager28 said:
sliclee said:

Bob

VERY nice shooting. What scope were you using?

Voyager28

Single-Sixer
Go Navy said:
Voyager28 said:
sliclee said:

Bob

VERY nice shooting. What scope were you using?

Redfield Battle Zone 3-9X42. The reticle is very similar to what I trained with in the military and the elevation adjustment is calibrated for 5.56. I usually keep it on 5 power.

Bob