Blued finish

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
if you have a gun that is blued is there any special care you need to do to it?
or just make sure you wipe it down with oil after handling it?

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Can of worms there. But yes just wipe it down with plain oil from time to time.
If you really feel fancy, there are wax sprays, wax, eezox, weapon shield, boeshield, Break free CLP professional, RIG, on and on and on, that will super protect for long term storgage or anything you can throw at it.
I have a bunch of products I am about to test and will post it.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
With the blued finish 2fast4u, you really need to be careful of too strong a cleaner and too abrasive of cleaning tools. Examples would be cleaning with carb cleaner or using a steel or a brass brush too extensively.

I let a normal strength cleaner soak in a bit more on a blued firearm to do its magic rather than apply the cleaner and get after the gunk and grit with a brush.

As gatorhugger mentioned, it is then very important to find a protectant that will stay on the blued firearm for a long time as you don't really need to be oiling the firearm on too regular a basis. I know I don't want to be a slave to oiling my collection.

Mike J

Hunter
All I've ever done with my blued guns is put oil on the finidh before storing as others have posted. I see a member on KTOG post recently that he used Johnsons Paste Wax on the slide of the blued P-11 he carries-I haven't tried it but it does make sense since a carry gun is going to be exposed to perspiration. It might be a cheap option.