Black finish on P93 barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I recently bought a P93DAO slide & barrel (always figured it's good to have spare parts ;>) - when they arrived in the mail, I was surprised to discover that the barrel was black (rather than plain stainless), outside and inside, except for the feed ramp. The slide apparently has the same, satin black finish. I brought the parts into a friend's gun shop, and he & his smith suggested that the finish "looks factory," but weren't quite sure what it is. I've owned multiple P-series handguns, in different calibers, and have never seen one with a black barrel. I've tried repeated searches on the internet, and this forum, and have turned up references to a blackened stainless finish on some of the SR-series handguns, but no references to blackened stainless being a factory finish on any of the P-series guns. Anyone know if that was a factory option at some point, or maybe done for a specific law enforcement contract? Or is it after-market? Just wondering what it is - thanks for any help!!

roylt

Hunter
Anything is possible on something that old but Ruger did supply several police agencies with all black pistols.

I have a PP90DC. The first "P" stands for police. ALL black. Hammer, trigger and barrel.

Thanks for the info, sir! Is that black finish showing any wear on your PP90DC? I think the parts you mentioned (and my P93 barrel, as well) are all stainless; I'm assuming the black finish is a chemical alteration of the stainless steel, because the bore is just as black as the exterior. Great looking finish, in my opinion. Kind of has me wondering if my black P93 slide is stainless, as well - it has some abrasions (the seller did NOT pack it well for shipping, unfortunately), and I tried touching them up with cold bluing solution, with no affect. If I ever look at having it completely reblued/refinished, etc., I will (obviously) need to figure out if it's stainless.
Thanks again!