BELLEAU WOODS COLT

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I figured I'd post this here also. Please forgive the crappy cell phone photo.
Cpbe6fx.jpg

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
I believe those WWI commemoratives were the last forged steel frames made on the original 1911 machinery at the Colt factory. My dad had the Chateau Thierry version. It was a great shooter. They're only now starting to go up in value. You could get one for $600-$800 just five years ago. Gorgeously handsome guns with the flat mainspring housing, long steel trigger and the wide hammer spur.

Since my Daughter is a graduate of the USAF Academy. I bought her the Colt 1911 WWII USAAF Tribute Model for her graduation. It is similar to the design of yours which is also like my vintage 1917 model. It has all of the U. S. Air Forces emblems on the slide and has a very nice presentation case. No I can't get her to shoot it :wink:

pete44ru

Hunter
Del J said:
Great looking 1911. What year did Colt make them. The 1970's?

IIRC, 6 different Colt 1911 World War Commemoratives were issued:

* WWI Series Chateau Thierry - 1967
* WWI Series Belleau Wood - 1968
* WWI Series 2nd Battle of the Marne - 1969
* WWI Series Meuse-Argonne - 1969
* WWII Series European Theater - 1970
* WWII Series Pacific Theater - 1970

Interesting. If the Belleau Woods Colt was made in 1968 I'm wondering where my cousin bought it. He spent a good part of that year in a Naval Hospital getting put back together.

In the small world department, I had a hand in building the hospital that replaced the one Ray convalesced in.

Nice gun, wish the picture was better , to show the engraving on the sides of the slide, also the serial number should designate the "BW" in the end of the numbers..............
with the picture above we see the background of the guns case, and the grips have the proper logo............

hawkeye12134

Bearcat
I had the set of 4 at one time, this was years ago and then tried to sell them. No one would give me what I wanted for them and I told them before I'd sell them for what they were offering I would shot them. I finally received an offer close to what I wanted and let them go. No more commemoratives for me.

'Splitz', I was offered the same thing, but all 6 issues, SAME serial number, just this past week, considering them as its under $7000 complete....hhhmmmmm

the four battles, as well as the Pacific and the European models....... 8) :wink:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Would like one of the WWI for the Argonne. My grandfather's brother Albert("He did not have to go", lamented my GF to my question of "Who's the army guy in that bubble glassed oval frame?") was killed the last day of the War......He rests in one of the big military cemetaries over there. He has never been visited by the Family..............Strangely, or not, it gets misty thinking and sharing this ....Yet, I think you'll understand........ Splitz