Bad Bearcat

Help Support Ruger Forum:

madd-trapper

Bearcat
First time having to send a gun back to the factory. Bought a new stainless BC last week. At the range I could barely get the shells into the chambers, very hard to cock and had to jam the heck out of it to get them out both when unfired and fired. I had cleaned it good before, during and after shooting it.
Just found my jewelers magnifying glass and theres a huge jagged gouge in one of the chambers. Dont know why the other chambers are so tight.
CS rep was kind of a tool.

I have a New Bearcat Stainless that came with the trigger screw loose. When I snugged it up it became extremely hard to cock. Backed off about a half turn it it functions OK. I put a drop of blue Loc-tite on it and have had no problem since of it backing out or loosening any. I too also noticed that the cartridges were VERY snug in the cylinder. I used a bit of 2000 grit wet-or-dri paper and polished them.

1SG Ret

Bearcat
I too have a Bearcat with a problem. When fully loaded, two of the six cartridges rub the breach face and bind the cylinder. At half-cock I can force it to turn and it will rub half-moon gouges on the back of the two cartridges. The problem is very evident with CCI and Federal. Remington is so-so. I bought mine used and it is 2003 vintage. I honestly don't think it was fired by the previous owner. It is in perfect shape otherwise. I've inspected the cylinder under a magnifying glass and see nothing worng. I haven't even bothered calling Ruger yet. I may have a local gunsmith take a look at it. Any other suggestions?

flatgate

Hawkeye
A quick pass with a proper chamber reamer would be the ticket. Such a job could be accomplished w/o sending the gun to a 'smith or the Factory. (cheaper, eh?)

JMHO,

flatgate

stubbfarmer

Single-Sixer
I have to put in a plug for EWK Arms stainless Bearcat ejector rod housings. I hated the aluminum housing on mine and ask Eric if he could make a stainless one to match the gun. He did a fantastic job and now has them on his web site. Just google EWK Arms you will not be disappointed. :D

1SG Ret

Bearcat
If I may ask Mr. Flatgate, could you educate me on the chamber reamer process? My Bearcat has the problem of two rounds rubbing against the breach face with a resulting half-moon scratch on the back of each. I would think my problem would be that the rim groove is not cut deep enough for those two. How would a chamber reamer help that? I would think my problem is that the cylindar is too long (to close of tolenace) and needs to be reduced at the front end. It is all new to me so please excuse my gunsmithing ignorance. I'm also sorry for hijacking the Madd-Trapper's post.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I don't think he'll mind, it's all the same issue. If I were you I'd remove the cylinder, load it and put a straight edge on the case rims to verify it they are all at the same level. If yes, you have a different problem. If no, you need a reamer.

The reamer cuts the chambers to their final dimensions including depth of the rim recess and shoulder in the chamber. Simple to do IF you have a reamer but not worth buying for just one problem. A local gunsmith might have one and if so it would be a piece of cake to deepen the two chambers slightly. If not, call Ruger, they should do it under warranty and ship you a box prepaid to return the gun and it won't cost you anything except about two weeks w/o the gun.

The quickest and easiest solution would just be to stone down the breechface slightly until the case heads no longer rub the breechface, if you're handy and want to simply fix it yourself.

madd-trapper

Bearcat
Got it back yesterday with a new cylinder. Fast turn around. At least now the shells go into the chambers. The new cylinder has engraving that actually sticks out. The other cylinder was so lightly engraved I couldnt even tell the difference with the bear and the cat.

madd-trapper

Bearcat
Took it to the range today and fired a couple hundred rounds thru it. Worked perfect, accurate too. Action seems smoother and loading gate now opens and closes with a positive click too.