Auto rim in a Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cal44

Bearcat
I have a ton of auto rim ammo.

Can it be used in a Ruger Blackhawk convertible?

I'm considering buying a convertible.

The only problem I can see is maybe the rim might be too thick?????

Dave

toysoldier

Hunter
Specs for Auto-Rim------------------.45 Colt
case length .898--------------------1.285
case diameter .476------------------.480
rim diameter .516------------------.512
rim thickness .089------------------.060

I suggest selling the Auto-Rim brass in small lots to folks who really need it, then buying .45 Colt cases. You might get a good deal trading it at a gun show, too.

Cal44

Bearcat
toysoldier said:
Specs for Auto-Rim------------------.45 Colt
I suggest selling the Auto-Rim brass in small lots to folks who really need it, then buying .45 Colt cases. You might get a good deal trading it at a gun show, too.

I use auto rim in my Smith and Wesson revolvers instead of messing with moon clips.

Wondered if it would work with a Blackhawk with the 45 ACP cylinder.

jpickar

Blackhawk
The blackhawk cylinder will have to be shaved off on the back to allow the AR case to fit. Another way to do it is to counter sink the cylinders for the AR case rim. that way you do not alter the back of the cylinder.

But I concur, sell the brass to me for my 1917 Colt DA 45 or trade it for 45 Colt brass.

John

CraigC

Hawkeye
No. It's not that it's a bad idea, it just won't work. Although you can have the cylinder cut to use both ACP and AR.

shorty500m

Bearcat
its a great idea to cut the cylinder by either method and use the autorim cases if you have a huge supply as do i. allows for a rollcrimp to be used and that allows for a touch of extra choices in bullet styles as some dont work as well when taper crimped due to bulletpull affectting powder ignition and burn

ftr53

Bearcat
I had the rear face of my ACP cylinder milled down to accept the thicker AutoRim rims. Regular ACP will still headspace on the shoulder in each chamber. As said above, just dropping an AutoRim into the unmodified cylinder won't work. After the first one goes in, the thicker AR case head sticks out too far to allow the cylinder to revolve, requiring removal of the cylinder to clear the problem.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
I bought a convertible Blackhawk back in the early 1990s. I had a friend with a lathe machine my ACP cylinder so that I could use AutoRim brass. It is an easy conversion.