Are Ruger Bisleys different in operation?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

glehr

Bearcat
A LGS has a Ruger Single Six in .32 H&R Magnum that I'm interested in, but I have a question about how it functions. When the loading gate is opened, the cylinder free wheels in both directions. It functions normally otherwise. All my other modern Rugers are different. when the loading gate is opened, the cylinder turns like a ratchet; only in one direction. It seems that the pawl (or hand as S&W calls it) is disengaged when the loading gate is opened.
Does anyone know if that represents a real problem, or knows why the condition exists with this Bisley single six?
I got the LGS owner to come down to a $500.00 price and I want to get it.
Any help would be really appreciated.
George

G2

Hunter
Without seeing the the gun it's hard to say for sure, but it sounds like a free spin pawl has been installed or the existing pawl had the free spin modification performed.

Easy way to tell is, with the cylinder removed cock the gun look at the inside top of the paw, if it has been angled off it has been "free spinned" modified.

Either way a replacement pawl can be acquired easily from Ruger. Should you go this route make sure you give them the sn#, IIRC the 32H&R pawl is a little bit different in OAL length.

$500 sounds like a good price, but keep in mind you can buy a new 327M Single SEVEN for just a little bit more. If it's a drift only rear sight, well they are unique and usually great shooters, mine is :D

glehr

Bearcat
cyberscout19 and G2,
Thank you. Based on your information, I looked and found "Power Custom" free swing pawls at Bronell's and Midway. As long as I believe that it's not a defect or safety issue, I'll probably keep it as it is if I get it.
I've thought about the 327 Fed Mag Single Seven, but I have a 327 Fed Mag SP101, LCR and 8 shot Blackhawk.
The Bisley Single Six is unique, out-of-production and will be a good companion for my S&W Model 16-4 in 32 H&R Mag.
I'll probably get a Single Seven once they are out of production and hard to find.
George