Anyone use any of those Buffalo Bore +P+ rounds?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FA 454

Bearcat
I was just researching what pressures bb 340 +P+ generate when I stumbled on this forum and thread. I've shot a few out of my 4 3/4" FA and the loads a beast. It's as powerful as bb 360 heavy Casull @1425 fps.

The 340 +P+ is a serious round and needs to be respected. Nothing anyone can't handle but hang on, and don't let the fireball blind you :lol:

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
340 grains at over 1400fps?!!!!! :shock:
What are you trying to shoot through? An armored personnel carrier?!

But seriously.... BB's 300gr .45Colt out of a Vaquero will get anyone's and any thing's attention, regardless of which end of the barrel you're standing on. I just can't see ever needing anything more than that, but apparently there IS a need.

Just HANG ON, because the ride will be rough.

FA 454

Bearcat
I handload and would have not bought the 340's ( they are quality though ) except I couldn't find any 340 bullets anywhere, and though why not give them a try.

I would be happy shooting 1200, and would have even loaded for 1000 but gotta watch the stability. 1400+ is a lot, and the bullet probably would hold together better with less. It's interesting that my first shot moved me back a step with a sharp snap, but my Casull shooting bb 360's at 1400+ seemed like half the recoil, with a gentle push. 340 +P+ are 45,000 CUP. 360 Casull are 50,000 - 55,000 CUP, but the Casull are not loaded to their potential, and no need for that.

The 340's would be my carry choice for protection from critters ( two legged too ) in the woods if I carried my 44. Just make sure the first shot counts, as follow up will be slow, and watch out for the fireball ( I have a 4 3/4" barrel ) because it's HUGE :shock:

btw, a really nice cast bullet imho is True Shot 310's from Oregon Trail. They'll do anything you could as of a 44, and easier on the gun and shooter.

CraigC

Hawkeye
FA 454":osghwo7j said:
I handload and would have not bought the 340's ( they are quality though ) except I couldn't find any 340 bullets anywhere, and though why not give them a try.
Beartooth has them up to 355gr. Hodgdon has data pushing them up to 1250fps at standard pressures.

outlaw_dogboy":osghwo7j said:
I just can't see ever needing anything more than that, but apparently there IS a need.
If I were after anything bigger than elk or wanted bear protection, I'd definitely want more than a 300gr. That said, I have no actual "need" for any more than a 250gr@1200fps. ;)

FA 454

Bearcat
Looking at BT site, they have .429 up to 405gr. That's way out of the 44 envelope imo, and so is 355gr for that matter. 340 is my personal limit with .429. if I want anything heavier I go to my 454, and even then 360gr is considered heavy for caliber.

250@1200fps is a nice load, but I wouldn't use it for Elk. You can't go wrong with 1200fps, but a good 300 or 310 gr gives me more options. If I wanted to hunt Elk size animals, I'd carry my 454 using bb 360 LFN, or something similar from my loading bench.

CraigC

Hawkeye
You said you couldn't find them, I just provided the source. Do what you will with the information.

A 250@1200fps is plenty for me and there aren't many elk in Tennessee. That said, if there were, I would have no problem taking them with the famed Keith load. I'd tote my hiny to Africa after plains game before I spent all that money on an elk hunt anyway. ;)

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
By shooting the handloads you're going to hunt with, you should know what to expect from them. I know BB and Cor-Bon make great ammo, and I have a lot of respect and confidence in their products, but I also consider my handloads to be second to none.

And I've shot enough of them over the years to k now what to expect when I pull the trigger. I'd expect no less of them hunting deer, bears, or at the range. They perform the same way no matter where I'm at.

I would NOT switch to Cor-Bon or BB without shooting a bunch through the gun I was going to use them in first. Practice with what you're going to use, and you'll know what to expect.

+1000

Well said!