Anyone own a Browning SA 22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I prefer handguns to rifles, but have always liked the Browning SA 22. The gold trigger and high gloss wood was a turn off, but I liked the petite John Browning designed rifle. Now it comes without the gold trigger. Anyway, I went looking at guns at a big store in Benton, TN. last weekend and saw the Browning. I'm still in love. Comments?

Browning-Semi-Auto-22-Grade-I_zpsf7d4e6d8.jpg

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=022B&cid=021&tid=001

sp327

Single-Sixer
I have two. One is stainless, laminated stock and octagonal barrel. I have it tucked away. And I have a regular one to shoot

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
First saw one 40 some years ago and have always wanted one. Something about the sleek design just makes it look like a fun shooter. High gloss never bothered me but that gold trigger didn't seem right. Bought my first 22 semi auto pistol 2 years ago so who knows, I may end up with a Browning someday.

A few years back I had one but I no longer own it (reason why is a looooong story) but I loved it. Accurate as all get out and fun to shoot, as well as have a takedown long before the 10/22. I might add that it was a very old model and not one of the newer versions.

martyj

Blackhawk
I used to own one. I traded it off it wasnt as accurate as my 1022s. My BL22 browning is will shoot with the best of them outside of the Anshultz.
I have heard most were very accurate. Just the luck of the draw like anything else.

Cholo

Staff member
I've read that they're very accurate, but accurate is a relative term. On RFC I read a post that the member has had many of them and they're a 1" or less rifle at 50 yds with it's preferred ammo. I can live with that :)

Major T

Blackhawk
Have two. One is lightly used maybe 25 years old, still 100% Belgium. Shoots under 1" @ 50 easily with a scope (4X Burris mini-PA).

The other was my late Father-in-Law's from the fifties or sixties. It had no finish, so I had it bead blasted and the receiver nickeled, the barrel and butt plate are blued, the screws are bright blue. Stock refinished, it looks nice. The granddaughters get both, along with several other .22s, including a 10-22 Sporter.

Fine little rifles,

Jack

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I finally bought one and played with ammo brands to get into a 2" circle at 50 yards. It was a belgium-made and I was pretty happy.
Then I bought a $150 Norinco ATD, a very very close copy, and got 2" accuracy with almost everything I put through it! Oh well, the Belgium gun is prettier in wood anyway.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
My Browning SA will outshoot my 10/22. When I'm out in the high desert you can bet that is stowed in the kit on my ATV's rear rack.

And I agree wholeheartedly with martyr about the little Browning BLR. It's my personal favorite rimfire rifle. It would supplant my Browning SA if it had a takedown feature.

mohavesam said:
I finally bought one and played with ammo brands to get into a 2" circle at 50 yards. It was a belgium-made and I was pretty happy.
Then I bought a $150 Norinco ATD, a very very close copy, and got 2" accuracy with almost everything I put through it! Oh well, the Belgium gun is prettier in wood anyway.

.......and my Browning would jam sometimes. The Norinco never does.

Al#327

Bearcat
I also have one acquired a few years ago as a reminder of my childhood. No gold plating which I assume is found on the newer ones. Can anyone comment on my guns age, marked, 'Made in Belgium' on the barrel. The odd thing about it is its serial number (18,000 range) is only found on its metal butt plate.

An early gun I suspect. Comments?

cowboy1

Single-Sixer
Highstandardguy said:
mohavesam said:

.......and my Browning would jam sometimes. The Norinco never does.
I have had the very same experience. I bought a Jap Browning ATD, very pretty and tight, but lacking in accuracy. Bought a cheapo Interarms ATD copy that will shoot rings around the Jap Browning, but isn't as pretty.
CB1

toysoldier

Hunter
I wanted one ever since one of my classmates brought one to a firearms safety class at the high school (Class of '69). In the late 80's I was able to afford a Norinco copy. The interior machining isn't as smooth, but it functions perfectly and shoots well. I paid $100 for it. If you're not obsessed with high-cap magazines and blowing off 6 bricks of ammo every time you go to the range, it's a great gun.

Cholo

Staff member
I was drinking my 1st cup of coffee this AM when I received this link from Fox Mike. I resisted the urge, but had to pass :)

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=467580938

longunm

Bearcat
Posted this short story on Rimfire Central recently......."Several" years ago, I foolishly traded a 70 model to a very good friend. Asked several times if he would put a price on it for me to buy it back. Never did.
This summer the place I work at sold out to a corporate type business. The old business paid our unused vacation.
So.....I called him again and asked if he would consider selling it back. Asked him to call me asap, then started looking at a new one.
After I was convinced he wasn't going to call, he did. But he said it's gonna cost you $$$. I said ok, when. Had to wait from Sunday to Friday but it's back home. He shot it 3 times over the years.
It's great to have very good friends.
Oh did I mention it's a Belgium made one?

Now to add this...Bought a Kimber Pro Carry, I think in the late 90's. Bought it again for the 4th time probably 6 years ago.
Good friends are priceless.

mic214

Bearcat
I have a Browning SA that was given to my by an old friend of mine several years ago. I have thought about scoping it, but then I feel that would take away from how it handles. It is fun to shoot and a joy to carry:

ClintV

Single-Sixer
I have the .22 auto, BL-22, and with a Browning Winchester 52 copy. At one time I was trying to get a Browning trombone to round out the collection, but it isn't as important to me as it once was.

I also have an Anschutz, a 77-22 target, and a Davidsons 10-22 Deluxe Sporter. The 10-22 will outshoot every one of them, except for the 52 with match ammo. (That one is literally a one hole rifle with Green tag)

There is something very classy about that little Browning, and very business-like about the 10-22. I think I'll keep them both......and maybe start looking for a Trombone again. :wink:

single action

Single-Sixer
Bought mine at sears in 1973. Belgian made love it. Need to keep the knurled piece tight. Like my 10-22 takedown method of break down and assembly better. IMHO YEA Sears times have changed came with a box of Ted Williams .22 ammo.

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
I bought a brand new blond wood Belgian SA-22 in 1968 for $75.00............Still have it. It has accounted for many squirrels, rabbits and other critters.