Another Hawk picture

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bvd1

Single-Sixer
I haven't seen any hawks for a couple months but this one stopped by for a visit yesterday. I love seeing these beautiful birds.

DSC_0200_zpssstf04gs.jpg

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Nice shot! We have a couple of pretty good sized Red Tails that like hunting the smaller birds in our back yard. Beautiful indeed.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

That's a wonderful picture!

There's a quality about raptors that always seems to come out in the pictures--it's not the right word, but "regal" is close. What kind is that guy? We have red tails, Coopers, kestrels and a couple of others around here, but the only really light colored guys I see like that one are owls.

Rick C

Poco Oso

Buckeye
That actually looks like it could be a Peregrine Falcon, or AKA a Duck Hawk. We had one that took up residence in a big Crab apple tree out back a few years ago. Yours is a particularly beautiful one.

Is anyone getting photo bucket to work today? It sure ain't happening here.

BearBio

Buckeye
Poco Oso said:
That actually looks like it could be a Peregrine Falcon, or AKA a Duck Hawk. We had one that took up residence in a big Crab apple tree out back a few years ago. Yours is a particularly beautiful one.

Is anyone getting photo bucket to work today? It sure ain't happening here.

Not a peregrine. Looks more like an accipiter and not a falcon.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
I completed a birding class this spring, have the bird books, and access to web and still can not ID this raptor.

Feathers on legs, shape of tail, ventral color with markings, and horizontal bars on tail should be enough for identification. Juveniles can often screw up IDs but with all this I'm just stumped.

SATCOM

SATCOM

Blackhawk
bvd1,

Yes sir! Juvenile Northern Goshawk.

Thats my story and I'm sticken to it.

The one that came to lunch today, what menu item did he choose? Fur, 4 legs, and long tail make me think cat, but that can be dangerous game. Goshawks were once called Goose Hawks because they could take such large game.

Thanks for showing your great pics of these Big Bad Birds.

SATCOM

Poco Oso

Buckeye
That would be my guess too. The white breast had me questioning. I still haven't been able to find one to match that. Anyone have a picture source that shows it? Regal bird, no matter what it is. Great pictures.

Some kind of Buteo, not a falcon or an accipter, IMO. The horizontal bars on the tail are goshawk-like, but the tail itself is 'way too short and broad.

Goshawks are short-winged and long-tailed to be able to literally fly thru foliage in the forests they inhabit. I'm very familiar with them from living in upstate NYS; a pair nested on our gun club's property and was famous for running us away from their nest. One stole a grouse right in front of me. I suspect that their fearlessness is one reason for their scarcity.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Mike Armstrong,

YUP!! I was not confident about shortness and bars of tail. I've only seen two goshawks in person; both were adults. One was mascot of NAS Pensacola football team and people were allowed to get quite close. What a magnificent animal.

Here are a few pictures of juveniles with short non pointed tails. We need bvd1 to keep taking pictures or learn goshawks calls.

Pair of Juveniles; https://www.infovisual.info/fr/biologie-animale/becs-doiseaux

Expert's guidance; http://jonruddy.blogspot.com/2014/01/hi-there-today-january-23rd-i-spent-few.html

Juvi with short and squared tail; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBD-X7x3i6I

SATCOM

Latest posts