An experiment of paper cartridges in muzzleloading shotguns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I decided to try an experiment. Since paper cartridges were THE way militaries loaded flintlock and even percussion muskets up to the Civil War, I decided to see if it was possible to do the same with muzzleloading shotguns.

My first attempt was with my Pedersoli Baker shotgun, a reproduction of something used by the Confederate Cavalry in 20 gauge with 11-inch barrels. I made buck and ball rounds, wrapped up in newsprint and tied at the ends over three .310" round balls and a .570" roundball with 50 grains of FFG Triple 7. I would tear the bottom end of the paper off, pour the powder in and then take the rest of the cartridge, paper and all and ram that down the barrel. At 15 yards it proved pretty effective, I lost a couple of the .310" roundballs somewhere, but it worked really well.

u5mzFRZ.jpg

s4IsG6D.jpg

Then I tried the same with my Pedersoli 12 gauge Coach Gun with it's 20-inch barrels. I used the same three .310" and this time a .690" roundball for each round. I tied them up the same, but this time I greased the outside of each paper cartridge with Bore Butter. At 15 yards the pattern was very tight, again, a very effective load.

ndI5leW.jpg

8rsEs0y.jpg

JFB

Hunter
thanks for posting, interesting

couple comments

did the newspaper become confetti?

maybe I am remembering for cannon, but could you load, then use a pick through nipple to pierse paper before capping