Ammo on ''sale''

Help Support Ruger Forum:

canshooter

Bearcat
I stopped at my local (western NC) Dunhams last week for the first time in several months. Hoped that ammo would be more plentiful and cheaper. Nope. Shotgun shells (#8 target loads) were still $10 & $11 a box, and there was very little 9mm or .223 ammo on the shelf, and what was there was still expensive.

I know I won't see $5/box shotgun shells or $8/box 9mm again, but I am surprised at how long this shortage/high prices has lasted.

Johnnu2

Hunter
The "shortage" and high prices will last as long as there are people who will PAY; it's simply supply and demand.

There are credible reports of NO shortages (ammo nor components) at major stores in other countries i.e. So. Africa. The commute is a bit prohibitive.. :) and there are no on-line websites.... just for the local and the BIG hunters.

J.

wildwilly

Bearcat
The local Dunham's used to have really good prices on tree stands just after hunting season you had to act quickly.They didn't last long

canshooter

Bearcat
The "shortage" and high prices will last as long as there are people who will PAY; it's simply supply and demand.
You're right, and I fully understand supply and demand. I just figured that demand would level off, allowing supply to catch up by now. Not yet, apparently.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I believe that the "supply" is being intentionally restricted to create panic buying and high profits (just like the diamond market). They will hold back supply indefinitely as long as people are willing to pay their prices.

J.

KS25-06

Single-Sixer
Checked out the fairly new Dunham's store in Liberal, Ks. for prices on ammo. All were way higher than buying online. The one that I remember was 220
Swift Hornady 55 gr V-Max. $60.00 per box. That is insane!!!!!!!!

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
I stopped at my local (western NC) Dunhams last week for the first time in several months. Hoped that ammo would be more plentiful and cheaper. Nope. Shotgun shells (#8 target loads) were still $10 & $11 a box, and there was very little 9mm or .223 ammo on the shelf, and what was there was still expensive.

I know I won't see $5/box shotgun shells or $8/box 9mm again, but I am surprised at how long this shortage/high prices has lasted.
I am the one with the ballistics file, and it appears that those day pf really inexpensive ammo are over forever. But I recently did some updating in my file, and there were some 9mm ammo boxes pf 50 for around $15-$19, which is $.30-$.40 per round. If you are interseted in this file, just email me and I will send you a copy (PDF file format).

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
I ordered some .223 and .556 from Cabala's for 12.99 a box. The .556 was 13.99. Saved a buck per box. And 10.00 in gas to run to the closest Dunhams. The .556 i ordered gas Hornday hollow point match bullets. Looking forward to testing them.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer

I certainly see the point in capturing ballistic information, and I believe there is probably a way to expand the web functionality of something like AmmoSeek to include ballistic data mined from manufacturers' websites. But if you're attempting to provide links where items can actually be purchased, there is no way in the current environment anything but an automated databasing effort is going to be able to maintain relevancy.

I work a bit with automated data parsing and see some opportunities here, which is why I was interested to know if your sheet was built on something like this.
My ballistics file is an Excel file with over 3,000 links to ammo online. Each entry has the manufacture, the website to buy, the pricing per box and per round, the weight and type of bullet, the last date I reviewed this item, and its ballistics info. I just added a couple of entries (9mm and .357 Mag from PMC) both of which are from trueshotgunclub.com (linked to from Wikiarms) and these are both in today's market very good prices! I only add ammo that either I can verify its ballistics or that display it directly on their webpage. In the case of this ammo I just added, they give the SKU number, which I can search online and verify its ballistics info. But the website trueshotgunclub is very strange and hard to navigate in.

I suggest you contact me and get a copy of my file and see for yourself. I would LOVE a way to make it automated, because it days many full days of work to update the whole file. I have not update it in its totality since COVID and the availability of AMMO went way down, to like something between 10-20% of linked entries that had their ammo actually available. I suspect that recently that this may have gone up to somewhere around 30-50%. But since it takes so long and so much effort, I do not think even these percentages are warranted to run thru the whole file. But until COVID hit, the availability percentage was i n the mid to high 90's.

So, I just update the file with emails I get from ammo outlets, and I get maybe 10 each day. Of course, a few are essentially just replicates of the day before, so I scan thru those quickly and then delete their email. Sometimes I will click on a listing right next to a new one I just inserted/added or one I just updated, and check on its availability and pricing. Sometimes the link is no longer good, and I either delete the entry completely or find a similar link for the same ammo by the same retailer and update the web address field and its pricing and availability.

By the way, Wikiarms is just a site that links to other online retailers (for guns as well as ammo), and does not appear to have any logical flow to it. But so far, the ammo it links to that I tracked has been a very good price!

LDM

Blackhawk
Welcome to the new abnormal. The ammo supply has been hit by all the inflationary pressures the jackass regime has dumped on every other industry. Since primers are now made from unubtainium, reloading has become a non-entity. The Wally Worlds here-abouts don't carry any ammo any more. My LGS is caught in the same bind. Distributors can't provide him with merchandise.

Latest posts