Ammo, ammo & more ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Just thought I'd pass this along, since folks are constantly complaining about .22lr/wmr being hard to find/expensive. Was down at Mitch's (LGS) today, and he's gotten in a truckload of ammo lately. Got it stacked all over the floor and shelves. Specifically .22lr/wmr if you're looking for any. I picked up some Win .22lr, 40gr hypervelocity (1435fps) HP for 10cents/rd. Also had Browning - same stuff, same price. And also whole lot of other .22lr. No shortage here. :mrgreen:

Tried a couple mags worth of the Win in my Sig, which is a little picky about ammo. Runs great! :D

ETA: This hypervelcity ammo will not feed or chamber in my old Savage 6A, so that may be true of similar older .22's also.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I'm now finding .22 all over North Dakota, Montana, and South Dakota about .10 a round also. Recently found Remington Golden bullets in 100 round boxes at Wal Mart for .05 or $5.00 a box. I hope that becomes the new price, .10 is too much!

Johnnu2

Hunter
I may be a tad cynical, BUT, there is no way anyone can convince me that the ammo "shortage" (esp. .22LR's) was not created by the ammo companies &/or their distributors. I know many of you have been told by friends; relatives "who work at the ammo company"; gun writers; even our blessed NRA, that the ammo companies were working feverishly to accommodate the 'demand' for .22LR. But now that the price has more than doubled for a brick of 500 rounds; all of a sudden the "supply" is abundant. Geeze Louise..... guys/gals, do you REALLY still believe all the b.s. about "hoarders" etc etc etc......... ??? Shortages have been created in our world by the various industries (yes like OPEC for one) in order to raise prices in order to increase profits etc etc ... IMHO of course... THANKS, I feel better.....J.

I haven't paid more than six cents per round in a long time, the new flyer from Dick's is buy one get the second one for 50% off(that's 4 cents a round for Federal). I won't be buying any because I have way more than I need right now....but....I will be buying some .38 Specials with the 50% off deal :mrgreen:

mikld

Blackhawk
I may be a tad cynical, BUT, there is no way anyone can convince me that the ammo "shortage" (esp. .22LR's) was not created by the ammo companies &/or their distributors.
I can understand that, but yesterday I read on a forum from one feller bragging that he just "scored" 10,000 22 LR rounds. "Over buying", hoarding? Possibly, but for most 22 shooters that's many years worth of ammo...

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Well, I used to keep a couple hundred rounds of .22 or less on hand. Hey, I could always drop by Wally World prior to a range trip and pick up as much as I wanted, any time I wanted. When it started getting hard to find, I would buy a couple boxes whenever it came up, even if I had a thousand or so on hand. Sometimes months would go by without being able to find anything that wasn't $.20 a round or more. I didn't go crazy, like some folks, who bought it by the thousands. Our local Walmart had people standing in line early in the morning on the days it was likely to show up. According to the folks behind the counter, it was always the same people. I really hope the scalpers got caught with a whole bunch of overpriced .22s.

Clovispup and I go through an average of 1200 to 2000 rounds of .22lr a year. I try and keep a year's supply on hand these days. It's also nice to be able to be picky about what kind of .22s I get. I've been seeing CCI minimags for $7 - $8 a box of 100. That's pretty close to pre craziness prices. I'm not seeing the $2.00 a box of 50 Thunderbolts, but I have seen some Federals on sale for $2.50 a box of 50.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I used to buy a brick of 500 whenever I thought about it when shopping at Walmart with my wife..... paid $14.00 a brick. I guess the ammo companies have to create the 'shortage' because we'd go absolutely crazy if they were 'up-front' and said: "look we're gonna double the price just because we need to increase our profit margins". Anyway, the shortage is over for awhile and I still have enough from the $14.00 per brick years.... Just for fun, how many are (like me) as old as dirt and remember taking a bicycle ride to the hardware store to buy a box of 50 rounds for 25 cents...? :)))))))

57springer

Buckeye
Johnnu2 said:
I used to buy a brick of 500 whenever I thought about it when shopping at Walmart with my wife..... paid $14.00 a brick. I guess the ammo companies have to create the 'shortage' because we'd go absolutely crazy if they were 'up-front' and said: "look we're gonna double the price just because we need to increase our profit margins". Anyway, the shortage is over for awhile and I still have enough from the $14.00 per brick years.... Just for fun, how many are (like me) as old as dirt and remember taking a bicycle ride to the hardware store to buy a box of 50 rounds for 25 cents...? :)))))))
I do !

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Johnnu2 said:
I may be a tad cynical, BUT, there is no way anyone can convince me that the ammo "shortage" (esp. .22LR's) was not created by the ammo companies &/or their distributors. I know many of you have been told by friends; relatives "who work at the ammo company"; gun writers; even our blessed NRA, that the ammo companies were working feverishly to accommodate the 'demand' for .22LR. But now that the price has more than doubled for a brick of 500 rounds; all of a sudden the "supply" is abundant. Geeze Louise..... guys/gals, do you REALLY still believe all the b.s. about "hoarders" etc etc etc......... ??? Shortages have been created in our world by the various industries (yes like OPEC for one) in order to raise prices in order to increase profits etc etc ... IMHO of course... THANKS, I feel better.....J.
You can likely believe whatever you want, but that doesn't make it true. But I can tell you this, I have been shooting for 40+ years and in that entire time, I never had more than a brick or two of 22 at any one time. Because I always knew I could stop and get one any time I needed it..............So how much 22 ammo do I have NOW? About 15,000 rounds and I don't even shoot much 22. Feel pretty confident in saying I am not the only one who did this and my stash is SMALL I assure you.

Johnnu2

Hunter
gtx, I wouldn't consider you a hoarder with 15,000 rounds. And that's exactly my point; despite what the "people in the know say about the ammo shortage', shooters, that stash ammo, do NOT have any impact on the shortages created by the 'industry' that wants our money. It's the 'industries' that create the shortages in order to double and triple the prices we pay.
p.s. I always had enough .22LR to get thru the recent fake 'shortage'.

mikld

Blackhawk
I built up my "stash" of 22 LR by picking up a brick whenever I thought about it while at the local box store over a few yers. I now have a 5 gal. bucket full of bricks and I didn't ever "clean out" or "over buy" the local supply. I always left some for the other guy...

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Johnnu2 said:
gtx, I wouldn't consider you a hoarder with 15,000 rounds. And that's exactly my point; despite what the "people in the know say about the ammo shortage', shooters, that stash ammo, do NOT have any impact on the shortages created by the 'industry' that wants our money. It's the 'industries' that create the shortages in order to double and triple the prices we pay.
p.s. I always had enough .22LR to get thru the recent fake 'shortage'.
The point is, you take thousands and thousands of people, that took the same approach I did, PLUS the guys who were buying every round they could find to resell at jacked up prices..........it seems easy for me to understand why the shelves were empty. I too saw the "line" of people at Wal Mart on the days the ammo was supposed to come in. Plus I know the guy who works in sporting goods at my local Wal Mart. He said they were getting the same shipments then, that they are now, as they have a standing order. Difference is, then it was gone in hours, now still some on the shelves when next shipment gets there. So form your own conclusions.

I have 15,000 rounds, no, not a lot by some standards, but I know several guys around here to claim to have over 100,000 rounds. If you notice, shelves have gotten full since election...........why you think that is. Because the hoarders have stopped buying it up.

I'm another guy who believes the shortage of 22 was intentionally created to drive the prices up.
It's plain as day imho. I got 550 boxed from wally world that have a price on them of 8.75
I bought them before the shortage a couple at a time when ever I happen to be there.
Luckily I haven't needed any for quite some time. Still too expensive imo. ps