Added a NV to the collection....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mic214

Bearcat
I just picked up a Ruger NV the other day. This one is a .45LC in stainless steel and has a 7-1/2" barrel. I haven't seen many of these around in this barrel length and they aren't listed on Ruger's website.

I can't wait to get it out to the range!

RugerNV-1.jpg

chutch

Bearcat
I found one this week as well after a lot of looking. Mine is blue 7 1/2" the fired shell date is Sept. 2010 and I think it is one of the last ones to leave the factory. I need to get a pic of it with my 3 year old 4 5/8" They are nice guns.

velo99

Bearcat
Hi guys,
Just registered. I have a NV SS 7.5 too. Great gun. Got mine from a friend w/ almost complete reloading setup. Thinking about mounting a scope for hog hunting since I can customize the loads. Saw a mount for a 22. Wonder if it would work.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
velo99 said:
Hi guys,
Just registered. I have a NV SS 7.5 too. Great gun. Got mine from a friend w/ almost complete reloading setup. Thinking about mounting a scope for hog hunting since I can customize the loads. Saw a mount for a 22. Wonder if it would work.

Welcome to the forum. The New Vaquero is the mid frame (think Colt SAA), the standard Blackhawk's are on the .44 Mag frame (except the .44 Spc's, and the .357 50th anniversary flattops, all of which are on midframes as well), and the .22 Singlesix's are on the small frame. This article on Gunblast sums it up well, http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-NewVaquero.htm . In a word no, the .22 mount won't work. If you do any drilling and tapping, to put a scope mount on it, the resale value will be impacted. The sights are what they are, prime 1870's fixed sights.

Not knowing where you stand on the relaoding information, the NV's have been chambered for .45 ACP, and OKed by Ruger for +P .45 ACP. So there is some .45 Colt load data out there in the 21-23,000 psi range, often referred to as mid range, for use in the NV's. DO NOT run "Ruger only" .45 Colt loads in the NV. The mid range loads are nothing to sneze at, a 270 gr slug at around 1100 fps.

mic214

Bearcat
velo99 said:
Hi guys,

Welcome to the forum! I am not sure a NV would be the best handgun to mount a scope on. I think you would be better off with a Blackhawk as the top strap would lend itself for easier scope mounting.

I took my NV out to the range today and it shot great. With Cowboy loads I was able to keep everything withing the nine ring at 10 yards. That 7-1/2" barrel sure balances nicely in the hand. I can't wait to shoot my first match with it!

Latest posts