A 5 shot GP 44 Special is theoretically possible, yes?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfee

Blackhawk
Are the existing cylinder diameter and forcing cone dimensions big enough to accomodate it? Has any high end pistol smith already done such a conversion?

5of7

Hunter
If S&W chambered their L frame gun in .44 Sp., why wouldn't a GP work as well?

And I too agree with the .41 Mg. in aGP100. I would order one the moment they became available. 8)

Sugar River

Buckeye
Looks like Dave is no longer doing the 44 Spec conversion, probably took too much time away from other projects machining the 5 shot cylinder, etc.
Still available in 10/40 and 41 Special. Just a relatively simple rebore of the existing cylinder.

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/gp100.html

DSCF0037.jpg

majorKAP

Single-Sixer
It was done years ago by ASP on the Speed-Sixes (with 5-shot cylinder), and it worked out just fine. Seems like it should be a cinch for Ruger to offer the same on the GP100.

DSC04634.jpg

DSC04632.jpg

DSC04633.jpg

DSC04636.jpg

wolfee

Blackhawk
From the pics, I assume it takes a slightly fatter cylinder to accomodate 5 44's, with the frame milled out a little bit so it fits. Does the existing OD of the forcing cone accomodate the bigger hole, or does a new barrel have to be fitted?

majorKAP

Single-Sixer
The barrel on the 44 conversion appears to be an original Ruger Speed-Six barrel, bored oversize.

I just measured three different Speed-Sixes....9mm, 357, 44special. Interesting findings.

The cylinders are all slightly tapered toward their distal end. I measured proximally at the widest point, over the bolt notches. Each one measured identically @ 1.497".

The cylinder lengths varied by less than .01", averaging 1.603".

The cylinder window heights for the three varied only slightly:
9mm/1.533", 357/1.532", 44sp/1.546"

The cylinder window length, from recoil plate to barrel breech all measured @ 1.674".

It does appear that there is more clearance between the closed cylinder and the bottom side of the top strap on the 44 than on the other two...as if a tiny bit of metal has been removed. But, what with the cylinder diameters all being the same, I don't know why that would have been necessary for the conversion.

Three50seven

Buckeye
One of my new favorite toys. Not a Ruger, but a Taurus model 431. A copy of the L frame S&W in a 5-shot .44spl.

2012-12-29215537.jpg

5of7

Hunter
majorKAP said:
The barrel on the 44 conversion appears to be an original Ruger Speed-Six barrel, bored oversize.

I just measured three different Speed-Sixes....9mm, 357, 44special. Interesting findings.

The cylinders are all slightly tapered toward their distal end. I measured proximally at the widest point, over the bolt notches. Each one measured identically @ 149.7mm.

The cylinder lengths varied by less than 1mm, averaging 160.3mm.

The cylinder window heights for the three varied only slightly:
9mm/153.3, 357/153.2, 44sp/154.6

The cylinder window length, from recoil plate to barrel breech all measured @ 167.4mm.

It does appear that there is more clearance between the closed cylinder and the bottom side of the top strap on the 44 than on the other two...as if a tiny bit of metal has been removed. But, what with the cylinder diameters all being the same, I don't know why that would have been necessary for the conversion.

I think you need to re-examine those figures. 149MM sounds pretty large to me for a cylinder on a Speed Six....something like 5-7/8" ?

wolfee

Blackhawk
Probably measuring off his screen and just providing numbers for comparison, not absolute.

wolfee

Blackhawk
357, is the cylinder diameter on your taurus bigger than a GP100? What about forcing cone thickness?

majorKAP

Single-Sixer
Post edited. Thanks for the heads-up. Thought I had the metric caliper in hand. Ignorant mistake nonetheless. Shoulda read and comprehended what was written.

Funny, wolfee.

Three50seven

Buckeye
wolfee said:
357, is the cylinder diameter on your taurus bigger than a GP100? What about forcing cone thickness?

Not sure, I' ll have to take some measurements and get back to you.

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
Someone was making 41 mag Pythons at one time which is roughly the same size. I went halfway with a 41 spl.

http://i.imgur.com/nCFa8.jpg

Thel

Blackhawk
Here is a link to Dave Clements site regarding the conversions:

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/rugerdarevolvers.html

It appears he is doing the .44 conversions again. I think he may use a slightly oversize cylinder on the
.44 conversions. I may be rusty on the dimensions but somewhere on the web, I believe, the cylinder
diameters were stated for the following: 6 Series - 1.50", GP - 1.55". The L frame was a couple of
hundredths bigger than the GP but don't recall. So, it can be done. Actually, the GP probably winds
up with a thicker forcing cone than the L frame as Clements claims loads that would do in the
Smith 696 in short order. The forcing cone is the weak link in the 696 design if one intends to do
hot loads.

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
It might just be easier to purchase a Taurus Tracker in .41. It is a 5-shot GP-100 sized revolver. I am quite fond of mine.
002-2.jpg

They make the same revolver in .44 mag.
pandasgrips008.jpg