9mm magazines Metalform or Brownells any good?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blueduck

Bearcat
Greetings,

Have a SR1911 9mm on it's way next week :D and was looking for some 10 round magazines. Common internet wisdom says Wilsons ETM are good to go, of course they are $40-50 (I'd certainly expect them to be good to go at that price)

Wondered if anyone has tried the Metalform or Brownells 9mm 1911 magazines and the results?

Thanks!

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Both Metalform and Check Mate Industries are the vendors that Colt uses for its OEM magazines. They've also used OKAY Industries, but I'm not sure if that one still exists. I haven't seen one of their logos on a Colt magazine in years.

cas6969

Buckeye
Can't speak to the 9mm ones, but I own 19(?) or of their 45 mags. My home range is all sand and dropping them in said sand in matches means you have to clean them a lot. More mags means less cleaning, at least during a match. With the whole passel of mags I can get through a 8-10 stage USPSA match in the sand without having to clean them. Prior to these I used Chip McCormick Power mags which did not like the sand at all. Once they got just a little bit dirty the followers would nose dive and stick and the mags would not drop free of the gun. They were also harder to clean due to how the bases attach.

As for the Metalforms, I've had no complaints.... well, at least none that turned out to be their fault in the end, but rather mine. :D

Blueduck

Bearcat
Just for an update, I ended up trying the Brownells 10 rounds mags, as they had a 3 pack deal that made them about $10 a mag cheaper (roughly $21 each or so) than the ten shot metalforms. Was a little concerned when I got them as they certainly did not seem as smooth as the factory Ruger mags, but they held ten rounds fairly easily, no loader needed, which I heard was a common complaint with many ten round 9mm mags.

Anyway 2 range trips with the new SR1911 and the mags. Shot mostly my own hand loads with 3.5 grains of Titegroup under a 147 Zero Jacketed round nose, some older 124 grain Bayou bullets over 4.0 grains of titegroup, and an old box of 115 grain silvertips I was just cleaning out of the ammo area.So little over 200 rounds between the three Brownells mags, not a single feeding issue (or any with the two Ruger mags that came with it), and all locked back on last round. Can't complain there.

No idea if they will hold up, but for my purposes they seem to be working out for now, then again I'm not in Desert fighting Al-Qaeda, or shooting in competitions where much other than pride is on the line.

Thanks all!

chowser51

Bearcat
Can you post a link to the Brownells mags you bought? A three pack would put me at ten mags for this gun which is the minimum I prefer per gun. :)

Blueduck

Bearcat
http://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazines/1911-9mm-magazines-prod84195.aspx

Looks like out of stock but here's link.

Toyman

Single-Sixer
I bought a Brownell's 9 MM and have yet to try it but it was hard to insert into my Kimber CDP 11 and will not drop free. I will try to use it at range before making final judgement as to its usefulness and quality

Blueduck

Bearcat
My three all drop free, but come to think of it, literally the day they arrived, two of my 5 Ruger SR1911 45 mags quit dropping free out of the blue... Maybe that alien chasing guy can find a connection???

bentblade

Single-Sixer
I just got 2 of the Brownells 10 rnd and 2 of the Metalform 9 rnd with removable base, after looking at them and my Colt factory 9mm mags my guess is that they are all made by Metalform. I know the Colts are.
Looks like Metal form just changes the bases and finish depending on who they are selling to and the buyers requirements. Go to Metalforms web site and they will put your name on them if you buy enough.

One thing you might want to consider also is that no one that I can find makes bumper pads for them, not even Metalform. The bottom of the base is slightly convex and the holes on the bottom are slightly off and all f the readily available bases from Brownells or Midway wont fit properly