77-357 Rotary Magazine problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Warthog

Bearcat
I bought a K77-357 back in September. I took it to the range once, and returned it to Ruger due to a creepy trigger and jamming. I got it back, and it doesn't jam and the trigger is much better, but the rotary magazine stopped working.

I took the magazine apart and found the shaft the rotor turns on was slightly bent. I am 62, and not very strong. The shaft seems to be made out of a very soft metal. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone make better replacement shafts?

Or better yet, does someone make a banana magazine like they have for the 10-22 so I can throw this into the garage sale stuff? I really would like to shoot more than 4 rounds before reloading the magazine. It's faster to just go single shot. And what good is a undependable magazine?

Mosinka

Bearcat
I'm sorry that you're having problems with the 77/357. I have one, and I have its big brother, the 44/77. So far, no magazine issues. On the other hand, I cannot yet order replacement magazines for the 77/357, apparently due to the newness of the rifle. The rifle itself is a delight to shoot. It's accurate out of the box with the factory sights. I love it. The rotary magazine of the 10/22 has been very successful. It may be that Ruger has some kinks to work out of the 77//357. But the rifle is so good, that I would encourage you NOT to give up on it. Keep it and wait for a fix. Write to Michael Fifer directly on Ruger's website to tell HIM about the problem. But I've not had any issues so far.

Warthog

Bearcat
Mosinka said:
I'm sorry that you're having problems with the 77/357. I have one, and I have its big brother, the 44/77. So far, no magazine issues. On the other hand, I cannot yet order replacement magazines for the 77/357, apparently due to the newness of the rifle. The rifle itself is a delight to shoot. It's accurate out of the box with the factory sights. I love it. The rotary magazine of the 10/22 has been very successful. It may be that Ruger has some kinks to work out of the 77//357. But the rifle is so good, that I would encourage you NOT to give up on it. Keep it and wait for a fix. Write to Michael Fifer directly on Ruger's website to tell HIM about the problem. But I've not had any issues so far.

Don't get me wrong, I like the rifle. It would be a great rifle to take with me when I am out in the desert, except for the limited magazine. I am getting 2080 feet per second with my hand loads (125 gr bullets and VV N 110 powder), so it can reach out to 200 yards. Accuracy looks promising as this rifle doesn't have some of the drawbacks of a lever action like a tubular magazine strapped onto the barrel.

I suppose the 4 round magazine might make sense if you hunt in a state which doesn't allow more rounds when you hunt. But Ruger is missing a big market by not having a bigger magazine option which gives you something to hold onto to get it out of the rifle. On my K77-357 it seems very hard to work the release, and then you need to reach in to wiggle the magazine out. I guess the next thing I need to do is try to make the release work better.

Quality problems aside, this is a great little rifle, and a good companion to my .357 revolver, if it wasn't so hard to get the magazine out, and then only to be able to load 4 rounds. A 10 round magazine similar to the 10-22 banana magazine would create more interest to someone which wants to plink or to have a handy rifle for varmints or protection which can use the same ammo as your six gun. Both the 44 and the 357 make pretty fair rifle rounds.

Anyway I was hoping someone at Ruger reads this. And I hope the soft metal in the magazine shaft was just a mistake, missed heat treating or something.

Warthog

Mosinka

Bearcat
Thanks, guys. I need to look again. It was a while ago when I looked for spare magazines. The rifle IS quite new. When I bought mine back in the early fall or late summer, my local dealer didn't yet know that it existed.

That said, I'm fairly certain that my magazine holds FIVE, not four.

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
No issues with my magazine so far,.....I do have another on order.
I like the idea of 2 magazines for different loadings & that they are flush with the bottom of the stock, makes it nice to handle & carrying.

I agree that a larger capacity mag would be sweet for targets....
Gotta love these light, versitile rifles!
myfriends1056.jpg

Sure wish Ruger would have offered them with a checkered walnut stock, but then again it does have iron sights & comes with scope rings. Nothing is perfect!

Hope you can exchange your magazine, & enjoy your rifle as much as I....

AJMD429

Bearcat
I wish they'd make them in .45 Colt.

Maybe .480 Ruger, too...

For that matter, make the 96 levergun in those chamberings...

Engine49guy

Bearcat
I recently learned about these and am looking forward to trying one out.

Always wondered why Ruger never made a .357 version of the .44 Carbine .

Would have been a great camp carbine companion rifle as well as Law enforcement piece for those that carried a .357 revolver.

rugerhouse

Bearcat
Have you ordered from the Ruger Shop and just put them backorder?

I have ordered several things that suggested they are out of stock, but ok to backorder. A few weeks later I get what I need. Not sure what their inventory system is, but maybe they get a few here and there and supply back orders first.

http://shopruger.com/M77_357-5-Rd-Magazine/productinfo/90345/