6.8 SPC Spec II

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sebtool

Blackhawk
Has anyone reamed their Mini 14 6.8 SPC chamber out to the Spec II dimensions yet? I've found info on the ARs, but not on a Mini 14 yet. The 6.8 has a lot of potential, and I'd like to get a little more out of the gun, see what it can do.

Any info appreciated.

wunbe

Buckeye
I had both my mini-14 Ranch Rifle and my compact Hawkeye redone as 6.8 SPC IIs at the same time as I had a custom #1 done in the same caliber. The old 6.8SPC Remington had a nasty habit of blowing up ARs if hotter tactical ammo was used. The Rugers though are built stronger and probably were OK with all factory ammo but I still got better performance -- if marginally; I do not have to worry about sorting brass fro the three rifles; and the resale value among serious 6.8 afficionados -- there are many -- improved significantly. And, since the reamer was already in hand, it did not cost much to redo right either.

6.8 SPC II has become the industry standard but only the smaller shops are making them now. The major makers -- like Ruger -- stuck with the old Remington version which is sub standard but blessed with the SAAMI imprimatur thanks to the clowns at Remington who have buggered more decent calibers than all other makers combined.

wunbe

sebtool

Blackhawk
Thx wunbe, good info.

Did you do the reaming yourself, or send them off? Any recommendations on where to go, or who to talk to? From what I've read, the reamer just kisses the leade a little bit to reduce chamber pressure, correct?

wunbe

Buckeye
I had the smith who was building the custom #1 do the other rifles at the same time. That way there was a chance that the brass could be just neck sized. It never worked out as I sold off the Hawkeye and mini before reloading for them, The #1 shoots the lights out and its all I will ever need. (It cost a packet too and the sales helped lay off that expense.)

There is a spcial forum for 6.8 fanatics and they have been sharing a reamer there to do the conversions. So it can't be all that hard IF you are not all thumbs like I am that is.

wunbe

sebtool

Blackhawk
I haven't taken the time to get into the 6.8forum yet, but I will. John Baker at Great Western Gunsmithing sent me a contact to rent the reamer and go/no go gages, I guess that will probably be the best way to go. I'm still not sure if I have to remove the barrel from the receiver or not, we'll see when I get to that point.

Thanks for the info. I'll bet that #1 is a sweet rifle!

wunbe

Buckeye
Low recoii; handy learner's profile for youngsters and smaller ladies; plenty of factory ammo with a wide range of bullets; reliable lethality on deer and hogs to 300 yards and beyond; light rifle capable -- it was designed for a 16" barrel; great background support avaiiable through 68 forum.com.

To me the main drawback is that by far most 6.8s are in ARs which, being of the M1 generation, I cannot get to like. So I have two custom 6.8s -- one in a Ruger #1 and one in a Mini Mauser.

wunbe

sebtool

Blackhawk
dad11345 said:
Why did you choose the 6.8?

What wunbe said!

Plus, outside of the AR platform, which I don't really care for, the cartridge has the most ballistic potential available in a handy semi auto package smaller than an M1A in .308. It's ballistically superior to the 7.62x39 or 30-30, the .223 isn't even close. It can be a medium game to self defense to plinking gun, in the Mini 14 package. What's not to like? :wink:

dad11345

Bearcat
Thank you both for the background on your choices. It is great to have so many options.