.45acp in a revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hawkeye
The garbage dump thing, is probably more about the double action revolvers with the moon clips. I have had an urge to buy a .45 acp N frame for a while now. Ed

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
20u3foj.jpg

Not a 45acp ..but a 45 Colt...4inch barrel 5 shot..this is a model 460 ..and I once had a model 455 (45acp)

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
"I have a 45 LC Birdshead with a short barrel that I recently fit a 45 ACP cyclinder to."

Wapiti how did you do that??

Anyone else know where to get after market or otherwise 45 ACP cylinders for the NMV??

Can a 357 NMV cylinder be bored out to 45ACP and fit to the gun.?? Without breaking the bank??

Any info appreciated.

Thanks!

dakota1911

Buckeye
I love the convertible SAs. I have a Bisley also.

Of course I have many 1911s in .45 ACP. But just kick them out with the ejector rod. If you notice the cyl. has a place where the .45ACP can headspace on the case mouth.

Tommy F

Single-Sixer
I own 45acp in just about every format and Ruger SA revolvers are at the top of the accuracy and light recoil list. Looking at a Talo birds head now.

Jim Puke

Hunter
I have a Williams Supply convertible...but I do not care for the 45acp cylinder. I guess it is just mine, but my cylinder is very selective about the brass that it will use without hanging up...and I cannot figure out what brand it likes...so, it sits unused and I have no set time to ever be aggravated with it again. Y'all can go enjoy'em enough for me. If I am gonna shoot 45acp, it will be in my 1911's.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Jim Luke said:
I have a Williams Supply convertible...but I do not care for the 45acp cylinder. I guess it is just mine, but my cylinder is very selective about the brass that it will use without hanging up...and I cannot figure out what brand it likes...so, it sits unused and I have no set time to ever be aggravated with it again.

Your throats may be tight.

My ca. 1974 NM has pretty uniform 0.454" throats in both cylinders, and I had the ACP cylinder converted so it can also shoot .45 Auto Rim.

xwgwGK.jpg

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Jim Luke , I load special loads for my .45 ACP revolvers. Mine love the RCBS 230 gr cast bullet 45-230-CA cast of 20:1 or 50/50 alloy. This is the same bullet I load in my .45 Colt Cowboy Action loads sized to .452 except for the Ruger convertibles I push them through a Lee .451 push through sizer die. These loads chamber slick and also run and shoot great in my Ruger SR 1911`s.
I also plunk check every one of my ACP loads in a Dillon chamber gauge no matter which gun they are intended for. I will find an occasional loaded round that does not drop freely into the Dillon gauge and those are the ones that would tie up or drag in your gun.
Doing this takes very little time and will make shooting your .45 ACP ruger revolvers a real joy.
I have a pair of flat tops and these targets were the first I ever fired with them. The first had to be sighted in,shoot and adjust three times put it on at 30"

The second one was sighted in fine from the factory with no adjustment needed.
Both guns shoot .45 Colt CAS loads(same bullet sized .452 over 6 gr. Trail Boss) just
as good as the ACP load.

Have fun!! 8) 8) 8)

skip

Single-Sixer
Ugly Hombre said:
Yep--no clips are used in a single action 45 ACP cylinder- just punch them out with the ejector rod- the 45 ACP in the single action is great!

Easy to find all formats of 45 ACP and reasonable cost as opposed to 45 'long" Colt ammo

I have a short a barreled bird head NMV 45 ACP and really like it.

Really want a standard type plow handle 4 5/8 NMV in 45 ACP. But hard to find them.
Go to Gallery Of Guns they have them in stock now...

CraigC

Hawkeye
IMHO, the .45ACP is a fantastic cartridge for a lightweight single action. A much better chambering than standard pressure .45Colt. You can use the same bullets at the same velocities except that the short case ejects much easier and you use less powder to get the job done. If you're not gonna run more than 900fps, the ACP is a better choice. Been longing to have an OM .357 converted to a four inch or shorter .45ACP.

Rclark

Hunter
You can use the same bullets at the same velocities
In fact I do just that... I load my .45ACP with 250g RNFPs ... same as my .45 Colt. However I do prefer the larger .45 Colt over the .45 ACP.... Just because :) . Obviously if you load heavier bullets, then the .45 Colt should be used due to the reduced volume under the bullet in .45ACP. I don't have any 1911s so no worry of 'cycling' problems.

OldNavy

Single-Sixer
A .45 auto pistol magazine makes a dandy sort-of-speed loader for a single action .45 ACP. Roll the cylinder with one hand while stripping the rounds from the magazine into the loading port with the other. I found this to be a lot simpler and faster than carrying belt-loop/loose rounds for a quick reload.