44 Mag cylinder for a 44-40 Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

azklmsr

Bearcat
Hey guys,

I have a lovely 44-40 Vaquero that I've started loading for. I'd like to pick up a 44 mag cylinder for the gun. Anyone know which one i would need to get or if a 44mag vaquero or blackhawk cylinder will fit?

thanks

Kurt

bedrockfred

Blackhawk
you can use a nm super blackhawk or a "VAQUERO" POST the OAL. for one you have! iam sure one will pop up! __bedrockfred

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I put a Bisley cylinder in mine. It timed and locked up perfectly with no adjustments. A blackhawk cylinder would fit also.

flatgate

Hawkeye
One caveat. Vaquero Only, NOT New Vaquero. I'm sure that's what the topic's intentions are, but, I feel compelled to make certain that distinction is perfectly clear.

:D

flatgate

cas6969

Buckeye
Better make sure you have a .429 barrel before you get too far ahead. If you have one with a proper .44-40 barrel, that could turn out to be a bad idea.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Facatory Vaqueros 44-40s use 44 mag barrels and had .429" bores. The early issues had .427" cyl throats which caused the bullets to rattle down the barrel with a point of impact no one ever new for sure. Later the cyl throats were remedied.

cas6969

Buckeye
I was under the impression from a few sources that they came both ways, depending on when they were made.

Can't speak to the high end, but I've seen throats as small as .423 on them.

azklmsr

Bearcat
Thanks all

I need to check the throats that i have on my pistol. I 'm suspicious that they are .427 ish and need to be opened up a bit. Besides the fact that .427 bullets are a PITA to find. Accuracy is 3 ish inches at 25 yds from a sand bag which is pretty crummy, leading me to guess the tight throat.

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
no worrys as they havent made the small framed gun in 44mag. All 44 mags were on the older large frame.
flatgate said:
One caveat. Vaquero Only, NOT New Vaquero. I'm sure that's what the topic's intentions are, but, I feel compelled to make certain that distinction is perfectly clear.

flatgate

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
flatgate said:

flatgate
New vaquero is not offered in 44 mag or 44-40. So how could you mess that up? :?:

Terry T

Buckeye
But....there is a small frame (New) Vaquero in .44 Spl. marked 'Vaquero' rather than 'New Vaquero' just to completely mess everyone's mind! :shock:

Terry T

PartsGuy

Bearcat
Facatory Vaqueros 44-40s use 44 mag barrels and had .429" bores. The early issues had .427" cyl throats which caused the bullets to rattle down the barrel with a point of impact no one ever new for sure. Later the cyl throats were remedied.
In another post you talked about turning a Vaquero 44 Mag into a 44-40. I'd like to talk to you at length about that but couldn't figure out how to message you on this forum. Please impart your expertise. Thank You

Latest posts