38 super

Help Support Ruger Forum:

reloader

Single-Sixer
A stainless lightweight Commander in 38 super would be a nice addition to the line.
Without front slide serrations and with standard controls.

DGW1949

Hunter
reloader said:
A stainless lightweight Commander in 38 super would be a nice addition to the line.
Without front slide serrations and with standard controls.

I hear ya...an excellent suggestion, except I'd rather mine be an all-steel 5" with a wide-spur hammer.
And while I'm daydreaming, they can furnish it with the same fixed sights that the newer BHPs have, leave their overgrown markings off of the slide, and offer the option of a high-polish finish.

Yep, that would do it for me.
Wouldn't be nothing left to do with a gun like that but go shooting. :wink: .

DGW

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Yep...and have that .38 Super barrel head space off the case mouth as well! My all steel Ruger CMD is 100% or thereabouts with a Colt barrel/slide assembly in .38 Super and is more accurate than the original .45 ACP unit. I use Colt magazines in it, BTW. Pic of a 22 yd target shot from a sitting position...hand load using a Remington 115 JHP bulk bullet and Unique powder.

Rod

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Let's see. Ruger is having problems keeping up with production, yet you are
asking for a caliber that is only slightly more powerful than a 9mm+P?

And with the lack of ammunition for the last few years, you want to use a
caliber that is harder to find? Any bets on what the cost would be?

Isn't the .38 Super ever so slightly . . less . . powerful than the .357Sig?
Right between the 9mm+P and .357Sig.

OK. I see. It is the HUGE empty slot in calibers and power levels that you
want to fill with a new Ruger offering. :shock:

I get it now. :roll:

DGW1949

Hunter
Hello Pat,

Your thoughts about Ruger and their production demands weren't lost on me, hence my own reference to "day dreaming" as being the qualifier of my first post.

Presently, there are 398 listings for .38 Super ammo being shown on http://www.ammoseek.com .
Prices for brass-cased "target" ammo start @ .30 per round and get into the .40-.75 range for various brands of HP and/or "high speed" FMJ ammo.

I get your point about the actual performance of the round, leastways as it relates to most of the available offerings. On the other hand though, there are a few which are advertised as launching bullets in the 124-130 weight range at some 1350-1400+ FPS, which puts it right up there with a .357 Mag being fired from a similar sized revolver.
Of course, the accuracy of advertised velocities is always suspect until proven. Plus, it's a given that accurate or not, they are seldom achievable out of a short-barreled pistol. Either way though, it still seems to me that any of the more serious loadings for the .38 Super are still going to provide quite a bit more thump than can be safely coaxed from a 9MM......which to me, would be the only point to wanting a .38 Super to start with......just sayin'.

DGW

Cdog

Bearcat
I'm a fan of the .38 Auto/Super in the 1911 platform. Has nothing to do with thump.

The Super has become and will likely remain for the most part a handloader's round. This does limit its mass appeal.

For those that do load, it can become a favorite. I shoot .355" .356" and .357" diameter bullets. My loads run from 115 through 158 grains. Versatile, light recoiling, inherently accurate.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I'm a fan of the .38 Auto/Super in the 1911 platform. Has nothing to do with thump.

The Super has become and will likely remain for the most part a handloader's round. This does limit its mass appeal.

For those that do load, it can become a favorite. I shoot .355" .356" and .357" diameter bullets. My loads run from 115 through 158 grains. Versatile, light recoiling, inherently accurate.

My thoughts exactly...plus those pretty, silver pieces of brass are easier to find in the grass down on my range! Haven't tried 158 gr bullets...have to put that on my to-do list. All said and done, it's a tinker's round.

Rod

sliclee

Single-Sixer
I remember reading 38 SUPER as being closer to 10mm. Definitely not close to 9mm+P whats made today. I saw a 9+ with a 124 at 1950 FPS ,couldn't believe it,saw it again in American Rifleman advertisement.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I would expect a 9mm first from Ruger which one could put a 38 Super barrel in of course. Thinking back to the P89 / P90 days I thought Ruger would already have come out with a 9mm.

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Ruger is not dumb. They know the right foot follows the left. There will be a rush for brass and new die sets.
Something to do in my old age, fire 38S at speeds beyond 10's.

BarnOwl

Bearcat
sliclee - Yes, Ruger is certainly NOT dumb...they have had a better command of what their customers wanted much better than their competitors. IF enough people want a .38Super in the SR1911 line then it'll be given serious thought. IMHO - the 9mm /.40S&W will come first because of it's LEO background. +1 on .38Super being a handloaders round BUT that's OK- I do it. Had a early 70's LW Colt Commander in .38Super when it head-spaced on the rim. Sold it as accuracy (compared to .45ACP) was just so,so. Have been using a Tarus 5" for a few years and it shoots lights out. Would like to get a CMD in the caliber...Santa are you listening? BarnOwl

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Barn Owl, you might try building one up, as I noted in my previous post on this thread. Don't know how pricy Colt barrel/slide assemblies are nowadays, as I bought mine off Gunlist more than 25 years ago...I suspect they've gone up a bit. Back then, less than $200 bought you a slide and barrel plus bushing.

Mine in .38 Super & on the Ruger CMD frame works extremely well, with original .45 ACP ejector still in place. I use Colt magazines and an 18# recoil spring as I recall. I also have a 9mm Colt barrel/slide assembly that works equally well, tho it's not as accurate as the Super. The Colt made barrels on these two are interchangeable in the slides, BTW.

HTH's Rod

reloader

Single-Sixer
Nice looking gun there. Ended up with 2 Colt stainless lightweight Commanders one in 45 and an XSE in 38 Super.
Haven't shot the 45 yet, but did shoot the 38. Accurate and reliable so it's a keeper.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
reloader - that Colt LWT Commander XSE in 38 Super is a scarce gun!! They didn't make too many of them. I have one of the Talo versions but I am still on the hunt for one of the XSEs.

It is probably second scarcest XSE variation, after the 9mm. Hard to believe, but the XSE LWT Commander in 9mm was introduced in March, 2015 and discontinued in May, just 2 months later. They are still out there to be found, but they are scarce indeed.

That 38 Super though is one hard one to find. Nice gun!!

BB45C

reloader

Single-Sixer
After reading an article about the Colt XSE lightweight commander in 38 super I decided that I'd like to get one. I really couldn't afford one though. I'd acquired a few inexpensive guns over the years at real bargain prices that I was kind of bored with. Most of them were now worth two or three times what I had paid for them, so I got a table at the local gun show and sold them all. Then when I tried to buy one found that they were not available. I tried to order one but the local FFL's all said that they could take my money and order one, but it may take years to get it and they really had no idea if and when it would come in. Bummed out I just stuck the cash in an envelope in the safe and decided to wait till one came up on the used market. When the Browning 1911-22 came out I thought that might be a pretty cool gun to have, but after looking at one and the weird metal it was made out of and how much they were asking for them I decided to wait on that also. Around last Christmas I came across an older Llama Especial in .22, it had the really nice checkered wood grips, the metal was nicely finished, had the original box and an extra mag. The extractor didn't look quite right though… a little too wide looking but I bought it anyway. Took it to the range and the first shot ripped the rim off the case and the case stayed in the barrel. All the reasons that had made me decide to sell off my old cheap guns came back to mind… I decided to take that gun back to the place I bought it and see if I could return it or at least sell it back to them, I grabbed the envelope just in case by some miracle I'd see the XSE 38 super…not holding my breath, but still believing in miracles… It was there and they were only asking $800, and it came with four mags! They also gave me a full refund on the Llama and that paid for about half of the XSE .45.