.357 Ruger #1A

Help Support Ruger Forum:

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
I recently looked at a Ruger #1 Unfired. It does not have the Calif. Highway patrol stamping. Excellent shape and no box. I know it is collectible, but is it collectible enough that it would be insane to shoot or ream to .357 Max?

Single-Sixer
I'd personally leave it a .357 and shoot the heck out of it. I think there were some unmarked over runs from the CHP model, yours is probably one of those.

picketpin

Buckeye
The CHP marked guns can NOT be considered rare. There were just a little over 2800 made. However there are approximately 200 "overrun" guns without the CHP markings that I guess are Rare. I've passed on several over the years simply because I can't think of what I'd do with one.

To me, especially with nothing easy to make it in to is becomes a fairly expensive plincker. While legal in Idaho to hunt with I just can't think of the situation where 357 would be my choice. The "rarity" usually makes them cost more than a "donor" rifle to rebuild.

I guess it boils down to if you a REALLY serious collector it's worth the money. IF not what can you get it for? What can you do with it? If you change anything, it's just another used #1.

RWT

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Don't know about "good". I would say no, given that there is no box. Truly unfired and with a box, that might be close to the going rate for an unmarked overrun 357; maybe higher these days.

I bought my new overrun 357 when I was a grad student in Ohio back in 1984? Paid $300 for it as I recall, and it's given me a lot more pleasure than that over the years. I don't do much rifle hunting, and I like to shoot (and reload), not get beat up at the bench, so this was a perfect rifle for me and started my interest in uncatalogued, unmarked overrrun No. 1s. I have "several" other examples at this point.

If you want to shoot your 357, look for a used one for less money; if you want to collect (and not shoot it), this one might suit your needs. I'd still try to get it cheaper or look for a NIB example for that kind of money.

P.S. Many of these have been altered/rechambered, so they are only getting more rare. Any alteration for me is a deal breaker and turns a collectible No.1 into a shooter that was someone else's (wet?) dream, not mine. Of course, there are some very nice custom No. 1s out there that can command high prices, especially if done by a nationally known maker (again Joe Bob the gunsmit in Backwater Holler does not qualify here)

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Another issue with pistol calibers in rifles from what I've read is the chambers have forcing cones and generous dimensions not well suited for accuracy in rifles. Punching one out to a maxi would not remove that. I dont know if Ruger uses pistol reamers on others like the 77/44 as well but it could explain some of the accuracy complaints.

I also wanted one for years but have given up on the thought and I think Id go with a donor rifle and have the rebarrel done right with a custom "straight walled" reamer whenever I get around to it.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
There is ample leade in these rifles, which I see as an advantage as a reloader. I can approach 357 Max. ballistics without having to rechamber, but usually shoot mine at normal or reduced 357 Mag. levels.
I have been able to produce some loads that give very good accuracy (i.e. very close to MOA at 100yds., and occasionally less when everything goes well)

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I dont have any experience with one in a pistol round and what I read up on when thinking about one was from Belm and his work on TC barrels. His chambers are cut straight and his results are impressive.

Coogs

Maximum
1200 sounds a lot pricey to me. I've been looking for one, lowest price possible, obviously, because I want to rechamber it to a Max. So if ya got one and want to part with it let me know. I'll even consider a NIB Max +$ for trade. Coogs.

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
Well. I picked it up today. It is unfired and I cannot find any scratches or dents. The wood is a little better than average and shows a little depth on one side. I have some 158g LSWC's loaded with 2400 and a few 180's loaded with H110 to try out this weekend.The lighting was not too good for pics but you can get an idea of the wood