.223 SAFARI RANGE REPORT [HAWKEYE AFRICAN .223] PHOTO ADDED

Help Support Ruger Forum:

doccash

Buckeye
Finally got a scope mounted on the new 77 Hawkeye .223 Safari. mounted a Leupold 2.5X8 matte finished one that just looks great on the matte finished rifle. [Just between us guys I wish it had a nice polished blue finish and a blued bolt, but I guess I'm just old fashioned]. The rifle at 7.75 pounds barely moves when it goes off, I'm talking like a .22 rimfire !! A real joy to shoot, the trigger is crisp and light enough for my callused hands. I shot 52 grain Sierra hollow point boat tails . This is a match grade bullet #1410. All of my centerfire .22's really like this bullet. .22-250, .220 Swift, .223 Remington, .220 Wby Rocket, and .225 winchester. I'm not yet 100% in my shooting skills but the rifle is without a doubt a 3/4" or moa shooter. The open express sights shoot to where they look at 100 yards. Overall I would rate this odd little rifle a great one. Todays target included. Bullets flew over the screens at 2955 feet per second with an extreme spread of 49 f/s over 12 shots. Dr.C :mrgreen:

IMG_4246_zpsa323093f.jpg

IMG_4249_zps46cf998d.jpg

mt

Single-Sixer
That ain't too shabby. I was happy to see Ruger put iron sights on that .223, I guess they used the excuse that it was part of their Safari line. I really miss having irons available on all calibers. I like scopes as much as the next guy but I really like having a back-up plan on my rifle. I recently picked up one of the Gunsite Scouts for just that reason.

mt

doccash

Buckeye
Kevin: felt pretty comfortable doing it this time, gonna shoot tomorrow afternoon too, Photographs in the morning though. Dr.C

gatling

Blackhawk
Awesome rifle, awesome shooting, and wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing. I want one of those rifles.

Seancass

Bearcat
AWWW!! I want one of these SO bad! I have no reason for it and can't possibly justify it, but it's so high on my I WANT IT-list.