180 Series Mini 14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
Well, Ol' HD is still hanging onto an old 180 series Ruger Mini 14 with a broken bolt....(Nub broke off)
I know all the info and problems in finding another bolt, etc, etc, but just refuse to let this Ol' girl go.
Been looking for about ~6 years or so now.
Found a classmate of mine a month or so ago that thought he could machine one for me, but it depended on what the bolt was made out of..
Any info on the technical make up of that steel bolt ???
Will be seeing him this next Friday and really would like to talk about it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks much.
HD :)

DGW1949

Hunter
No idea what your bolt was made of, and I got a dollar that say's whatever martix which was used by Ruger to cast it was/is a highly-guarded trade secret.
As to the "nub" which broke off, I'm guessing that you are talking about the small projection on the (R)locking-lug which holds the little roller?....if so, you should know that something else caused it to fail, probably improper clearance relative to how the cam-cut in the op-rod interfaces with the "nub" when the bolt is in battery. I've seen that with M1A's, the only difference being that with those, the bolt is much stronger so it's the roller that shatters instead.
In other words, it's quite-possible that you have more than one issue on your hands....one being the problem, the other being the result of the problem. Just something to think about.

As far as having a new bolt fabricated....lots of detailed work there, and a lot of liability. All in all, unless I was dealing with someone who's had experience with such things, I'd have to pass.

Hope this helped somewhat.

DGW

kevin masten

Blackhawk
As far as sending it back to Ruger for evaluation and repair, not likely to
Happen as the 180 is obsolete and parts not likely
Available . Ruger may offer you a new one with you having to pay some difference, is your rifle is found to be defective in some way.

Contact Ruger and give them the facts. They are very reasonable and fair in their approach to your problem

Finding a correct 180 bolt will be a shot in the dark, at best, and
You likely will not hit anything .

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

DGW1949

Hunter
Voyager28 said:
Can it not be sent back to Ruger to be fitted with a new bolt?

Bob

The very-early Mini-14's used a one-off bolt and op-rod. Plus there's a lot of other differences between it and the later models...enough that Ruger no longer services the 180-series.

On the other hand though, it couldn't hurt to give 'em a call.
Who knows?..maybe they've recently uncovered a bunch of 180-parts which they didn't know they had. :wink: .

DGW

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
Thanks for your views and points DGW. Makes good sense. Had not thought of it that way..
Others....Ruger has refused to have anything to do with the 180 series bolts for years....I believe that the design used on the 180 series bolt rifles is quite easy to convert to full auto.....and I believe that has a lot to do with it...
Also I have a bunch of large round magazines for it...does anyone know if they will fit the newer series ????
Cheers,
HD

DGW1949

Hunter
I've heard that the early (factory) mags do work in the later guns, but I have no first hand experience in the matter so I can't say for sure.
On the other hand, I do know that if you happen to have some of the early factory 20 Rd mags, they are worth a premium due to them being straight instead of curved. That doesn't have anything to do with function though, it's just because collectors like them....as-do the guys who "customize" their Mini so's it will "look like" a M-14.

On a different note:
If you don't mind my saying so....the way I see it, you only have 2 realistic options relative to your broken gun problem:
1)....Strip the gun (and bolt), sell (or auction-off) the parts, and use the proceeds towards another used gun that works.
2)....Send it Ruger and see if they'll work you a deal on a new one.

Either way would be more cost effective than trying to fix what you got.

DGW

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
Again good points DGW,
I probably should have given more details right up front on this Ol' favorite of mine.
It also had a folding stock that I believe only fits the 180 series. :(
Probably should take your advise and sell the several mags I have, as well as part it out, or sell as is and just move on to something else..
Cheers,
HD

Latest posts