10/22 magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cutlassguy1976

Bearcat
I've had single sixes since the 70's and have plenty of variations that I bought over the years but am fairly new to the 10/22 world. I bought one a couple years ago and my daughter bought one for one of my grandsons also. He and I go plinking and shoot a few squirrels each season. Like I said, I don't know much about their history and have been wanting to ask for awhile now but for lack of any other reason, embarrassed because of my lack of knowledge. How long has the 10/22 used the current magazine release style? Between the 2 of us we have lost a bag full of magazines walking around in the woods. We check to see if our mags are still there as often as we check to make sure the safety is on, ALL the time. I finally decided to ask this forum about it after we over- heard a couple old boys talking at a gun show about how many 10/22 magazines they have lost due to the release being so easy to accidentally operate.
If there was a previous style release that wasn't prone to accidental loss of the magazine, can it be retrofitted to newer 10/22's? Any history/information would be appreciated.
Thanks, C

9x19

Hunter
I don't know the year Ruger switched to the extended release, but yes, the previous release fit flush with the stock.

Back then, folks would complain about how impossible it was to change mags with gloves on (I disliked the early flush release for that reason).

I've never lost a magazine and I've been using the extended style since the late 80s when RamLine was offerng them as a replacement, but that don't mean squat to those who have.

You might try asking for an early style release in the classifieds. They are quite simple to change out.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
From what little I know, it is more than hard to find the old style levers. I even did a
search on the mother ship data base and can't find any. I then even tried eBay (the
worst place to buy anything - IMO). Nothing.

IF you can find one, they should exchange with very little work. My only suggestion
is to look around and see if you can find someone with the old style lever, and see
if they would care to either trade or let you buy theirs.

As far as how well they work, I am VERY happy with the ones I have. You either
stand the rifle on the stock, or rotate the rifle (muzzle in a safe direction :roll: ) and
put your thumb on the lever and your index finger in the recess, and the mag.
comes out in your hand. I don't understand WHY someone "needs" a .22lr
magazine to jump out of the rifle. . . . . SIGH! :wink:

Good luck with your search. :D

"Back then, folks would complain about how impossible it was to change mags with gloves on (I disliked the early flush release for that reason)."

Me 2X. I hate those "pull off your glove and wedge your thumb in the recess" mag releases. I'd guess we have 3-4 of the newer style or aftermarket extended releases and at least 1/2 dozen with the older style release. If/when using extended magazines, the older style release is a near impossibility to operate.
I've not lost any magazines using either type release.

Chief 101

Hunter
I am one in favor of the old flush mount mag releases and I have some of the newer ones. It is not a big deal to me that they only make the xtended releases and if you want the old flush release I am sure there are plenty out there that have been taken off that an ad in the classifieds would find you one.

hittman

Staff member
Local old guy around here always shot a spot or two of blaze orange paint on his 10/22 mags ..... they'd be easy to find if/when he dropped one in the woods.

jjas

Single-Sixer
cutlassguy1976 said:
I've had single sixes since the 70's and have plenty of variations that I bought over the years but am fairly new to the 10/22 world. I bought one a couple years ago and my daughter bought one for one of my grandsons also. He and I go plinking and shoot a few squirrels each season. Like I said, I don't know much about their history and have been wanting to ask for awhile now but for lack of any other reason, embarrassed because of my lack of knowledge. How long has the 10/22 used the current magazine release style? Between the 2 of us we have lost a bag full of magazines walking around in the woods. We check to see if our mags are still there as often as we check to make sure the safety is on, ALL the time. I finally decided to ask this forum about it after we over- heard a couple old boys talking at a gun show about how many 10/22 magazines they have lost due to the release being so easy to accidentally operate.
If there was a previous style release that wasn't prone to accidental loss of the magazine, can it be retrofitted to newer 10/22's? Any history/information would be appreciated.
Thanks, C

I think this is what you are looking for...

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/287790

I've read where people take the new plastic extended release and grind it down to make a flush mount release. I've never done it, but I'm sure someone on this forum likely has tried it.

Hope this helps.

Back when the aftermarket extended releases came on the market I put them in some of my 10/22s. A few months ago I was noticing how ugly they were and put the originals back in. Sometimes form just has to rule over function. The OP is headed in the right direction even if he is doing it for a functional reason.

Anyone know if the old style releases will work in the polymer trigger housing? Just a thought. :lol:

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
recumbent said:
I like the extended release especially when shooting off sand bags or a rest on the bench, You can change mags without moving the rifle.
A few months ago my son mentioned something about liking the looks of those long extended mag release levers. I told him they would be fine for shooting from the bench, but they were a good way to loose magazines while hunting. Simple matter to have both!

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
I don't touch the release if I don't want to release the magazine. Just like I don't touch the trigger unless I want to shoot.

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
I've read where people take the new plastic extended release and grind it down to make a flush mount release. I've never done it, but I'm sure someone on this forum likely has tried it.

Yes I have done it to my gun for saving the mag from loss due to the long release! So far I have not lost a mag during hunting season,....but I do carry an extra! :lol:

recumbent

Buckeye
RUFFBIRD said:

Yes I have done it to my gun for saving the mag from loss due to the long release! So far I have not lost a mag during hunting season,....but I do carry an extra! :lol:
Did you ever loose a magazine before you modified the release?

mac66

Single-Sixer
The extended mags that come on newer 10/22 are cheap plastic. Pretty easy to grind down or cut off with a sander, dremel tool, grinder etc.