10/22 Mag release issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JMGATES

Bearcat
I just bought a used 10/22 with a aftermarket bull barrel. Some one has been also been playing with the trigger group also. They spray painted the trigger and mag release red. Anyway the gun has a 235- prefix. Plastic trigger group. The mag release will not fully release the mag. You have to fiddle with it or take a key or something and pry it forward to get it to come out. Any help is appreciated.

Regards
Johnny

9x19

Hunter
I think 'Maduro was talking about the magazine itself binding on the stock.

If this is a synthetic trigger housing the mag release lever should be the extended version. If it was painted, that may be causing the release to bind in the trigger group.

One pin holds it in place. I'd remove it, make sure the paint isn't causing an issue (the release lever is synthetic as well), and if it is use a sharp knife to scrape the paint of each side of the lever.

Also check the tip of the lever to make sure it wasn't modified. Should have a pronounced hump at the top.

JMGATES

Bearcat
Sorry DM. I get tunnel vision sometimes. I was thinking since I had to pry it forward a little it would only be hung on the back or front. Didn't even fathom it would hang on the sides. I think you are probably right. It is in a houge stock. I will try to figure out how to remove a little from the inlet on the stock.

Thanks again. Might be time for a Boyd's thumb hole. :mrgreen:

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
JMGATES said:
Sorry DM. I get tunnel vision sometimes. I was thinking since I had to pry it forward a little it would only be hung on the back or front. Didn't even fathom it would hang on the sides. I think you are probably right. It is in a houge stock. I will try to figure out how to remove a little from the inlet on the stock.

Thanks again. Might be time for a Boyd's thumb hole. :mrgreen:

No problem, JM. I just went through the same thing with a laminate thumbhole stock. The factory 10 rounders were hard to seat and the Steel Lips wouldn't fit at all, neither would the BX25. About 10 minutes with a sanding block took care of the problem.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

DM