10 22 Horror story

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Major T

Blackhawk
Years ago, my PIO guy, who also taught defensive driving, gave safety talks, taught crime prevention, and etc., came to me with the magic graver, wanting to put my DL# on my guns. I explained that they already had a number and to do so would reduce the value by half. He was instructed to "loose the gizmo." If john Q wanted numbers, he could get his own. We were not going to decrease the value.

As an aside, I know pawn shops that will not buy said marked items, unless the number matches the seller. Otherwise, they consider it to be stolen.

Jack

modrifle3

Buckeye
Very common back then . . . same with tools.

Is this a powder coated receiver or anodized . . . I believe only the first 3 years or so got anodized?

If so I have used Rustoleum satin and semi gloss to replicate the factory finish on several 10/22s unless you hold a factory original and a refinished rifle in the light to catch a look at the base hue, it is nearly impossible to tell and if you do the trigger housing also, no one will ever know.

Superglue will work or JB Weld, gold body filler, something like that to fill the engraving.

If anodized you can repair it, but it will cost more than a new rifle. Basically you have to have the anodizing removed, tig weld it, use the correct grit sanding belt to replicte the factory brush finish and have anodized.

Buford57

Bearcat
I remember well the "Principles of Investigation" class where we were instructed to scratch our initials and badge # on any piece of physical evidence that might find its way to court. That way when the prosecutor asked "Is this the Ruger Hawkeye you testified that you took from the defendant?" you could confidently and unhesitatingly respond "Yes, sir. I recognize it by my mark."

I adopted the practice of including serial numbers (if present) in my notes and report because I wouldn't have wanted my property returned to me with someone else's "mark" on it. It also gave me the opportunity to run the SN and maybe clear a burglary while I was at it. It took about 3 more questions to identify the item at trial, but I was on the clock and so was the ADA.

Marking the back of a stereo or TV where the SN wasn't a permanent part I can see, but a unique identifier should be sufficient.

CurlyQ

Bearcat
The first thing most bad guys do after steeling a gun is grind off the serial number. Putting some sort of ID number in a hidden place they aren't likely to look makes the gun more easily traceable if stolen. Of course, if you're going to do that, the most obvious thing to put there is the serial number itself.

eveled

Hawkeye
I've seen every thing from lawn tractors to power tools and guns with SSN etched into them. Mostly stuff from the 60's it was considered an anti theft measure. Ed

Fumbles

Bearcat
Man......I just bought a 1964 Ruger .44 Mag carbine. I got it home just a while ago and found initials and a date scratched into the buttplate!!!! On the outside!!! :evil:

I feel your pain brother!

I also have a 1980 10/22 in jail. Hope I don't find any a-hole engraving on that one!

I might be able to come up with retarded reasons people do this. I engrave my tools. But right on top of beautiful bluing......right on top of the receiver???? Some folks just don't care I reckon.

wwb

Hunter
Fumbles said:
Man......I just bought a 1964 Ruger .44 Mag carbine. I got it home just a while ago and found initials and a date scratched into the buttplate!!!! On the outside!!!.........

With a little searching, you may be able to come up with a "virgin" buttplate in steel. Otherwise, there's always plastic. The buttplate on the .44, the 10/22, the 96/44, the 99/44, and the Mini are all the same. Things could be worse....

Fumbles

Bearcat
Yeah thanks wwb.

I can't get over somebody taking the engraver to a receiver though. Heinous!

Major T

Blackhawk
Better than that ! I have a pocket Colt .380 that a guy bought new, engraved his name on the left side, then shot it once - himself in the head. Information was from an old guy that owned a pawn shop. The original owner was a friend of his. The family sold it to get rid of the bad memory. I have had the pistol so long now, that I don't notice it any more. The original finish is getting thin. Turnbull needs a few moments with it.

Jack