#1 44 Rem Mag......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I've been watching the posts and pictures of the new Ruger #1 in 44 mag. It is hard to believe that neat packages like this come late in the #1's life(?) when it appears production is a scant chance in the near future. We hunt in tree stands here in Georgia with deer kill shots averaging 35 yards in my experience in taking about 60 or so deer. My 'perfect' tree stand rifle has been thought about a LOT during my years of my so enjoyed time in the woods. It is short - 'compact' but still having a barrel long enough to give less than unbearable muzzle blast. Therefor a single shot fills the bill. It is chambered in a non magnum cartridge to also help with power but not having a deafening hearing ruining muzzle report. Our whitetail are not hard to kill unless a hunter forgoes a properly placed shot and tries to make up for it with magnum power.
So,.. my 'perfect' tree stand guns have been T/C Contender carbines in 44 mag and 35 Rem, Handi Rifles in 45/70, 30/30, and 357 mag and maximum.
Now this 20" barreled #1 in 44 mag fits right in with my formula for what would make a GOOD tree stand rifle. I don't think I'll find an affordable one unless the sales success of this short run encourages Ruger to make another run. I like fancy Walnut but would be happy with a walnut 'Plain Jane' stock. 44 Rem Mag or even 35 Rem or 358 Win would all be fine, I'd even entertain a 45 Colt in these neat short Ruger #1's! Probably a few other medium cartridges would do well, too.
BTW- a single shot rifle has never been a negative for hunting deer. It has been quite easy to take two deer with two shots a few seconds apart. I've never felt like I 'needed' a repeater although I've used them a good bit as well.

Single-Sixer
I don't know Alan, these Georgia deer can be dangerous beasts!!!! I think a .405 Win. #1 would be more prudent! Seriously though, that little .44 #1 looks enticing, but I'm afraid I am all out of gun $$$$ for a bit. Tell me, are you contemplating one?

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I guess I wrote a small book in that post.... too much print! I sure would like to see and handle one of these #1 in 44! 20" is actually not 'short' for a 44 mag so no performance is 'lost'. I have handloaded and shot over 5,000 rounds of 44 mag through 4 Super Blackhawks and two RedHawks, a few Handi Rifles, a few Contender barrels, and a few 1894 Marlins so,..... not a surprise I might want one of these neat little #1 in the same round!

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I almost forgot, I also had an 18 inch MGM stainless bull barrel 357 maximum for my walnut stocked Contender carbine,---very accurate.
And,... I had a Thompson/Center original 21 inch carbine barrel in 375 Winchester unfired. It was 'taken away' by a collector with the offer of way too much money that I accepted before I ever fired it! It was a carbine barrel and very light. I might have kept it had it been a heavy bull barrel

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
As of now Lipsey's has over 90 in stock. Get your LGS to order you one. Will be well north of $1300

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
Got one. Love it. Added a skinner peep sight mounted on the receiver. I really enjoy shooting it. I don't do much stand hunting but I can see where this would be perfect for such duties.