A new twist on an old scam

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Received this email this morning (not the entire thing shown). A slight twist to the usual BS.

Hello Friend,

I'm Mrs. Sharonda Britton I am a US citizen, 41 years, I reside here in Bentonville, Arkansas My residential Address is as follows, 303 NE 2nd St Ste 2 Bentonville, AR 72712 Arkansas, USA, I am thinking of relocating since I am now a wealthy woman I am one of those scam victim that took part in the Compensation Award in Europe Italy many years ago and they refuse to pay me, I have paid over $79,600 to fraudster while in the United States just to get my payment all to no avail. So I decided to travel to Italy with all my compensation document and I was directed to contact Lawyer Donald Williams who is a member of Compensation Award Committee Program, I contacted him and he explained every details to me He said whoever is contacting me right now is fake that I should contact only the Lawyer.

He took me to the paying bank for the claim of my Compensation Payment right now I'm the happiest woman on earth because I have received my compensation Money of $5,500,000.00 (Five Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) Moreover Lawyer Donald Williams showed me the full informations and list of those that are yet to receive their payment and I saw your Name and E-mail address as one of the beneficiary, this is the reason why I decided to Email you to stop dealing with those fraudster, they are not with your money they are only extorting money from you with tricks I will advise you to contact Lawyer Donald Williams now for assistance. You have to contact him directly through his private E-mail address which is below.

And it goes on for four more paragraphs.

Pat-inCO said:
The phrase "Bentonville, AR 72712 Arkansas, USA" tells you it is all a lie.

A "read no further". :roll:

:D
Actually that is an actual address. I looked it up on the map. I seriously doubt that it has anything at all to do with the letter. Addresses are easy to located and copy. It could just as easily been 5300 Blanco Ave, El Paso TX. I know that is an actual address as I once lived there back in '65. One address, of one of these scams, was an actual address that was an open field. :D :roll:

It is incredible that any sane person actually gets taken by these scams. But like so many scams, even those used 100 years ago like the "wallet found on the street, that the stranger who found it offers to share it with the sucker" it is based upon the greed of the target of the scam, who hopes to get something for nothing. I truly have little sympathy for those who get taken on these kinds of scams.

I guess the sender figures if they get one answer they are 'making out'. Email is cheap to send. I am a natural born skeptic. If it seems too good to be true it probably is. Question everything!

ronto

Hunter
There is a Compensation Committee which reviews compensation agreements of top corporate executives of publically held corporations listed on the NYSE and NASDAQ but there is no such thing as a Compensation AWARD Committee.

Pal Val

Buckeye
I got a similar scam message. I replied with my name and bank information:
John D. Rockefeller IV, Chase Bank Executive Account XXX-XXXXXXXX. Never heard from them again. Wonder why.

Received another just a bit after the first one from:
EVANS THOMAS LAW FIRM
SOLICITORS & ADVOCATES
No: 15 Allen Avenue
Ikeja ,Lagos.

At this ^ address is a small supermarket and a vision store
Somehow you just know this has to be legit. :roll:

Igor

Single-Sixer
Got a call this morning so I played along for a few minutes. The caller told me that the company that I had my subscription through for "internet security" was having a server problem. So, according to him, as soon as I gave him some bank information, they could credit part of my subscription fee back, for the time their server had been down.

After a couple of minutes of back and forth, I asked him if there weren't any real jobs available in Bangladesh so he didn't have to resort to scamming people. He got very perturbed at that, and started swearing at me.....then he hung up.

Cheap entertainment.