Honda EU2000i Generator in the rain

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
Hurricane season is officially upon us. Just had a near miss. Tons of rain but never lost power. I have a Honda EU2000i generator/inverter in case power goes out. Anyone with experience running this in heavy rain and wind?

CGDustDevil

Buckeye
I don't know about the Honda specifically... But all portable generators can suffer problems in the elements. They make small 'generator tents' that are like canopies with sides that drop down enough to protect the unit, but not so far as to cut off the air or impede exhaust.

I've seen people make small "A" Frames out of plywood and 2 X 4 to give the things some protection with good success.

Generally if the equipment is clean, moisture shouldn't be too much of a problem... The dirtier the generator, the more risk for internal shorts. In any event, keeping the gear out of the elements is beneficial!

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
CGDustDevil said:
I don't know about the Honda specifically... But all portable generators can suffer problems in the elements. They make small 'generator tents' that are like canopies with sides that drop down enough to protect the unit, but not so far as to cut off the air or impede exhaust.

I've seen people make small "A" Frames out of plywood and 2 X 4 to give the things some protection with good success.

Generally if the equipment is clean, moisture shouldn't be too much of a problem... The dirtier the generator, the more risk for internal shorts. In any event, keeping the gear out of the elements is beneficial!
I've seen the tents but I doubt they would hold up in winds over 70mph. This Honda is fully enclosed in a hard shell. The outlet panel is exposed however. I've heard people say they run these in the rain but would like to hear some more first hand experience. I've thought about an "A" frame type of shelter as well.

We've been a Honda dealer since 1980. I'd strongly suggest trying to keep it dry.
Some type of "well ventilated enclosure"....plenty of cooling air available yet mostly
protected from rain. They will survive a lot of water short term but it will lead to
corrosion issues as time passes. Local fire departments and cable providers use
that model for low power requirements and get them wet on a regular basis. Takes quite
a while before causing issues but I'd still avoid it if possible.
I've never tried running one while spraying it with a stream of water, but would not
be surprised if the receptacles got enough water in them to trip the breaker.
Dave

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
Dave P. said:
We've been a Honda dealer since 1980. I'd strongly suggest trying to keep it dry.
Some type of "well ventilated enclosure"....plenty of cooling air available yet mostly
protected from rain. They will survive a lot of water short term but it will lead to
that model for low power requirements and get them wet on a regular basis. Takes quite
I've never tried running one while spraying it with a stream of water, but would not
Dave
Someone I know has the EU3000 and they say they run it in all types weather with no issues. I have an open porch in back of my house and thought about setting it up there but the exhaust side would only be 6 feet from the house. Afraid fumes would enter through the soffits.

jeffmb said:
Dave P. said:
Dave
Someone I know has the EU3000 and they say they run it in all types weather with no issues. I have an open porch in back of my house and thought about setting it up there but the exhaust side would only be 6 feet from the house. Afraid fumes would enter through the soffits.

Sooner or later they will.
None of the electrical connections are weather tight.
$50 ( or less ) could make a decent cover/stand.....
Dave

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
Dave P. said:
Sooner or later they will.
None of the electrical connections are weather tight.
$50 ( or less ) could make a decent cover/stand.....
Dave
I'm trying to come up a design that will be safe(not catch fire or overheat the unit) and withstand heavy rain and high wind. Any suggestions or things to consider would be welcome!

spanky509

Bearcat
10 years or so ago we had a 11 day power outage in Kansas city. I ran a 5000 Honda in my garage and hooked very securely an extension to the exhaust pipe in a hole in the garage door. Like in car shops or truck repair shops. I have since moved and have the same set-up here now. Don't mess with extension cords. Get a transfer switch and do it right and safe.I "exercise" my generator monthly and have a carbon detector in garage and have no problems. Don"t skimp....do it right

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
spanky509 said:
10 years or so ago we had a 11 day power outage in Kansas city. I ran a 5000 Honda in my garage and hooked very securely an extension to the exhaust pipe in a hole in the garage door. Like in car shops or truck repair shops. I have since moved and have the same set-up here now. Don't mess with extension cords. Get a transfer switch and do it right and safe.I "exercise" my generator monthly and have a carbon detector in garage and have no problems. Don"t skimp....do it right
I agree a transfer is nice since it gets rid of extension cords in the house but it doesn't change my situation regarding running the generator in the elements. Running it in the garage is not an option for me.

I'm thinking a small "doghouse", maybe 28 inches wide x 36 inches long
sidewalls maybe 24 inches high with a peek roof. Gable type vents/louvers
on the end and door.
Even though these units don't move much maybe a set of small blocks on the floor
so it can't shift.
3 to 4 inch gas water heater vent stack lined up with the exhaust outlet
sloping slightly down to allow exhaust to exit. Not connected, just a hole
the units exhaust blows into.
Screw a couple of 2x4 across the bottom of it and stack some concrete
blocks on the ends of them.
It doesn't need to be totally waterproof just trying to keep the bulk of
the water off it.
Not talking rocket surgury here.
You could get fancy and add a 12 volt fan powered off the DC tap to move
some extra air
Dave

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
Dave P. said:
I'm thinking a small "doghouse", maybe 28 inches wide x 36 inches long
sidewalls maybe 24 inches high with a peek roof. Gable type vents/louvers
on the end and door.
Even though these units don't move much maybe a set of small blocks on the floor
so it can't shift.
3 to 4 inch gas water heater vent stack lined up with the exhaust outlet
sloping slightly down to allow exhaust to exit. Not connected, just a hole
the units exhaust blows into.
Screw a couple of 2x4 across the bottom of it and stack some concrete
blocks on the ends of them.
It doesn't need to be totally waterproof just trying to keep the bulk of
the water off it.
Not talking rocket surgury here.
You could get fancy and add a 12 volt fan powered off the DC tap to move
some extra air
Dave
I was thinking of a wooden box 24"W x 24"D x 20"H. Or a heavy duty Rubbermaid storage container of similar dimensions. Would put 20"x20" grill vents on the sides to provide plenty of ventilation. Generator would sit all the way to the back so there would be
almost 4" of space between the front of the box and the front of the unit. Back would also have a grille vent with a circle cut out where the exhaust is. Flat top is easier to build. Maybe make the front 1" higher than the back so water runs off. I'm trying to stick to 24". That way I can use 2'x4' plywood sheets. I like the idea of 2x4's sticking out at the bottom for cinder blocks. Was going to put them on top but that would have made it top heavy and more susceptible to falling with heavy winds. Do you know how the air flows through/around this unit? Would my design provide adequate ventilation?

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
for the minimal expense and effort required, make a shelter for it. Considering the extreme weather need, it would seem goofy not to take precautions...I would make protection elevated off the ground, too....torrential rains can accumulate and whip around, contributing quite a bit to the situation.

Rancher Will

Blackhawk
I have owned two Yamaha generators for years. The are almost identical to Honda's. We use them on our ranches when we need portable power away from the home ranch area plus I use them singly and together for power for our Montana 5th Wheel RV when we camp in locations of no shore power.

I have carried them, and use them in the open back of my pickup trucks since they were new, in any weather that happens. We have never had any problem with weather with the two Yamaha's.

kramden

Blackhawk
I've used my EU300 many times in the rain. Use a piece of plywood big enough to keep it out of the rain. Never had a problem

Dan in MI

Staff member
You've already said in the garage won't work, but maybe this will help others.

I bought a spare exhaust manifold for my genny. Adapted it to 2" car exhaust pipe and plumbed it through a hole in the garage and added a car muffler. It has a dedicated spot in the garage. It's noisy in the garage but outside is fairly quiet. Been running genny's this way for 30 years. (with a manual transfer switch)

RSIno1

Hunter
I knew a guy that used one of those cheap $19.99 2 man pop up tents with good success. He put a pallet in it and set the gen set on top of it.

[/quote]
I was thinking of a wooden box 24"W x 24"D x 20"H. Or a heavy duty Rubbermaid storage container of similar dimensions. Would put 20"x20" grill vents on the sides to provide plenty of ventilation. Generator would sit all the way to the back so there would be
almost 4" of space between the front of the box and the front of the unit. Back would also have a grille vent with a circle cut out where the exhaust is. Flat top is easier to build. Maybe make the front 1" higher than the back so water runs off. I'm trying to stick to 24". That way I can use 2'x4' plywood sheets. I like the idea of 2x4's sticking out at the bottom for cinder blocks. Was going to put them on top but that would have made it top heavy and more susceptible to falling with heavy winds. Do you know how the air flows through/around this unit? Would my design provide adequate ventilation?[/quote]

I'd suggest a little more airspace around the unit, but that said, I think you
would be ok at the size you want to try.
They draw the cooling air from the lower front/bottom. Flywheel fan pulls it it
and the internal shrouds duct out the back cooling the inverter at the front and
engine and exhaust area at the rear.
If the people who say to run them in the rain and not worry could see some of what
comes through a service shop......well, they might change their minds.
It's a $1000 generator that could last a individual for a real long time, a little
extra care won't hurt.
Dave

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
Dave P. said:
I'd suggest a little more airspace around the unit, but that said, I think you
would be ok at the size you want to try.
They draw the cooling air from the lower front/bottom. Flywheel fan pulls it it
and the internal shrouds duct out the back cooling the inverter at the front and
engine and exhaust area at the rear.
If the people who say to run them in the rain and not worry could see some of what
comes through a service shop......well, they might change their minds.
It's a $1000 generator that could last a individual for a real long time, a little
extra care won't hurt.
Dave
Thanks Dave. Knowing how it cools itself will help a lot in coming up with a good design.

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
Rancher Will said:
I have owned two Yamaha generators for years. The are almost identical to Honda's. We use them on our ranches when we need portable power away from the home ranch area plus I use them singly and together for power for our Montana 5th Wheel RV when we camp in locations of no shore power.

I have carried them, and use them in the open back of my pickup trucks since they were new, in any weather that happens. We have never had any problem with weather with the two Yamaha's.
I assume you've run them in driving wind and rain with no ill effects? This is what I'm looking for.

Latest posts