Old Model Flattop for sale. SPF

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mellonhead

Bearcat
I have a Old Model Flattop for sale. It is a shooter grade gun. This is a type 1 with a 4 digit serial#. It has a 4 5/8s barrel and walnut grips. Caliber is 357 mag. I do not have a box or paper work for this gun. It is an excellent shooter and very accurate. It has the original lockwork in it also. $550 shipped. SPF

000_0009.jpg

000_0008.jpg

000_0010-2.jpg

000_0014-1.jpg

Toby

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I'm too late to buy but could you PM the serial number to me? That is not a type 1 ER button but it might fall in the transition range, which we have narrowed down to a few hundred guns in the 6xxx and 7xxx range.

If you haven't heard from him yet, expect a similar SN request from Ale(8)-1

radicalrod

Hunter
Scott, they have a type one front site with a type two ejector rod(dimpled not serrated)....then they changed the front site to the now standard style to make a type 2.....way too much to keep track of....what makes them RARE is they only made a few this way......or that maybe WMG doesn't have one.....now that would be a RARE RUGER for sure :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay now you guys are making me feel REAL bad. I thought I was doing good by letting the unfired 6 1/2" go to a good home and sending the 7 1/2" flat tops to new homes before I converted them to something else. The same with the lettered brass framed guns. Unfortunately a Type 1 transition gun is at John Gallaghers getting made into a Skeeter gun in 44 Special. :oops: Wavey front sight and dimpled ejector rod. Does the fact that I let half a dozen good collectors go to collector type guys stay as a member of the forum? :)

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Shipping date is key to deducing whether a gun shipped late enough to have reasonably been assembled with the dimpled button. Lot of people didn't like the serrated button, especially on the centerfire guns that sometime presented sticky extraction issues, and so they changed them to the newer button. Also the "parts bin" process applies and there is a lot of overlap where a gun in the known transition range could have either button.