RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon May 10, 2021 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:27 pm 
Hawkeye

Glupy wrote:
Life no longer has meaning. I never thought that a Ruger could fail like that. And I've been shooting them for 50 years.

Next thing you're gonna say is that Clark Kent is really Superman.

Dave

Gee, I thought that stout Ruger handled the catastrophic case failure in fine style! :wink:

(I would not have wanted to fire that round in my S&W M19)

Enemy of the DEP
(Domestic Enemy Party, formerly known as the Democrat Party)

Firearms are freedom's teeth

#iwillnotcomplyfu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:32 pm 
Buckeye

My guess would be that the cartridge received a double charge of powder at the factory. The GP was built to handle a steady diet of .357s, so I HIGHLY doubt the gun gave out for no good reason. If I recall correctly, S&B ammo is foreign-made, and often times that means lower safety standards and less thorough testing than here in the U.S. Either way, I think its safe to say the ammo is at fault, not the gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

Three50seven wrote:
If I recall correctly, S&B ammo is foreign-made....

Close inspection of the OP's images shows the cartridges original box. The Czech Republic is the source.

Me? I ain't shot no Factory Loaded Cartridge since the mid/late 1980's......and they were Freedom Arms loads.... :D

OK, I admit, my Rimfire shooting centers around "cheap-o" junk run through Paco's Accurizer.

flatgate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:08 pm 
Buckeye

Man, I hope that's your wife holding the GP!

If not, paint your nails a different color!

But seriously, I'll put money on an over pressure round. Hard tp prove though, it was likely the only one in the box.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:27 pm 
Blackhawk

Location: Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like setting
Bucks Owin wrote:

Gee, I thought that stout Ruger handled the catastrophic case failure in fine style! :wink:

(I would not have wanted to fire that round in my S&W M19)

Excellent point! Someone could have been in a serious hurt if that round had found it's way into a "lesser" revolver.

Just more proof of a Ruger's strength?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:28 pm 
Single-Sixer

i had a charter 357 explode a while back, the cylider cracked and part of the ejecter star hit me in the forhead the rest of the gun was ok. i sent off to charter and they sent me a new gun two weeks later and even called me. they said that from their testing that it looked like overloaded ammo because they use strong 357 ammo to test and i was using cci alluminum 357 which isn't supposed to be too hot. i have fired my new gun with several rounds of american eagle jsp without any trouble, i'm just afraid of the cci alluminum now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:11 pm 
Single-Sixer

Sugar River wrote:
Man, I hope that's your wife holding the GP!

If not, paint your nails a different color!

But seriously, I'll put money on an over pressure round. Hard tp prove though, it was likely the only one in the box.

Pete

Pete, I was thinking something similar. Good thing it was a Ruger or you might have broken a nail.

Just glad no one was hurt and yep, pad and pen handy when you call to get names and dates and times and answers written down.

Post subject: Definitely take names
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:10 pm 
Blackhawk

BlkHawk73 wrote:
My suggestion...call (don't e-mail) the ammo manufacturer and see what they say. Follow that up with a call to Ruger. Have pen/paper handy to get names and what they say.

Definitely take names, have a pen and paper when you are on the phone and take the BEST NOTES YOU CAN and re-write them in complete sentences immediately after. If Sellier and Bellot start to drag their feet, or Ruger, who you talked to, what you said and what they said and when they said it is very important.

Keep both the contemporaneous record and the recalled notes, both.

Recording the phone conversation is usually not a good idea, tempting as it is, don't do it.. Sometimes illegal, inadmissable and often has a chilling effect on the conversation.

Recording only YOUR SIDE of the conversation is always OK, though. (My legal advice, however, is NOT always ok.)

Preserve the remaining rounds from the box containing the round that broke your revolver. Note the lot number.

If you feel like doing some investigating on your own, buy another box of S&B, same lot if you can find it. Weight a few of the loaded cartridges and see what the variation is. Compare their weights with the weights of the cartridges from your original (offending) box. If your original box has a few rounds that are heavier than the others, that might be normal variation in bullet weight, but it might indicate overcharged cartridges. Shake'em to see if you think they might be fuller than the others. Whether you open them up and weight the powder inside is up to you.

However, the new box of cartridges you bought are much more available for investigation. If you see a similar variation in cartridge weight, pull the bullets and weight the powder to see what kind of variation they have. If you find a double charge, you really have evidence of S&B responsibility for the damage.

Thanks for asking our advice. Sorry about your gun. Glad you are uninjured. Good luck.

Lost Sheep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:51 pm 
Single-Sixer

chris_ wrote:
I'm a little curious as to why you joined two forums, just in the last few days, just to post this, though.

I'm glad he DID... It demonstrates responsible behaviour and safety-consciousness! (He should post it everywhere shooters congregate.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:07 am 
Hawkeye

resident wrote:
chris_ wrote:
I'm a little curious as to why you joined two forums, just in the last few days, just to post this, though.

I'm glad he DID... It demonstrates responsible behaviour and safety-consciousness! (He should post it everywhere shooters congregate.)

I am also welcome aboard!! Things could have been a lot worst glad your OK. As flategate mentioned I haven't shot any factory stuff in a long time. Benefits of reloading is not only saving money YOU are in control of the safety of your ammo, not that Czech Repudblic.!! ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

Buy American Give Your Neighbor A Job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:58 am 
Blackhawk

The general consensus seems to be bad ammo. Not necessarily so. I was cleaning my ACP cylinder from my Acusport convertable and noticed longitudinal "scratches" in a couple of cylinders and sent the gun to be checked. It was determined the cylinder was cracked. All I had fired was about a box of factory USA loaded 230grain ball. Anything made by human hands can be defective. Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:29 am 
Hawkeye

Welcome to the forum!

Please, don't mind the message questioning your motivations. You have received good advice, and since many of us here own GP100 revolvers, it would be good if you kept the information coming. These failures are extremely rare, so each one should be looked at with a critical eye.

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."
Pres. John F. Kennedy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:42 am 
Hawkeye

Yes, please keep us abreast of developments. I'm thinking defective case with a flaw in the web area... :?

Enemy of the DEP
(Domestic Enemy Party, formerly known as the Democrat Party)

Firearms are freedom's teeth

#iwillnotcomplyfu

Last edited by Bucks Owin on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:44 am 
Hawkeye

Stuff happens to everything, eventually. Glad you're OK.

Please follow up as advised above, and let us know how it goes.

To me, it looks like an ammo problem that was contained pretty well by your strong Ruger GP. Hate to think what would have happened to a light-frame Rossi or similar gun.

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:25 am 
Hawkeye

I'm no expert but the way that primer pocket and case head is BLOWN OUT it sure looks like an overcharge. I'm sure Ruger would love to get that gun back to check it out. Be sure to ask for a mailer sent to you so you don't have to pay shipping. I doubt the ammo maker will do much for you, but I could be wrong. In any event I would go with Ruger first as they will make it right. Might need a whole new gun I would imagine.

Now I'm a little worried as I have several boxes of that ammo. :? :?

...Jimbo

Elvis Presley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next