xxx stocks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I haven't payed attention to Ruger's fancy stocks but I did purchase a Lawson's thumbhole stock for a rifle once.
I got the works. Fancy walnut , inlay's and the epoxy coating.
It was just over $1500.
I don't know if I paid to much or not , but it was made to fit me and was the most comfortable stock I have ever used.

kentdep

Single-Sixer
I am a sucker for pretty wood on my rifles. I would pay probably 50% over retail maybe more if it were a type of wood that I liked, say French Walnut or Turkish Walnut too.

Jay

blackbearhunter

Bearcat
Yep Pretty wood aint cheap!LOLOL...see linkie

http://50.87.49.140/~macongu1/3563-ruger-no-1-single-shot-select-blackcircassian-graft-set/

gatling

Blackhawk
kentdep said:
I am a sucker for pretty wood on my rifles. I would pay probably 50% over retail maybe more if it were a type of wood that I liked, say French Walnut or Turkish Walnut too.

Jay

Yes, I would do about the same. You just don't see really nice wood too often on factory guns these days. Been that way for about 10 years.

picketpin

Buckeye
I guess you have to say I've paid a LOT for really killer factory wood in a #1. Certainlly more than 100% more than I would have paid for the same rifle with a 2x4 on it. IF and when you find them it is the least expensive way to put truly great wood on a #1. I have bought more than a few over the years simply for the wood with zero interest in the cartridge it's chambered in and even the configuration.

Ross

R1895

Bearcat
Just because something is a tool, doesn't mean it has to be ugly or plain Jane looking. :wink:
I don't mind the idea of paying more for better wood on some of my tools. I've done it before and would do it again.

picketpin

Buckeye
I have my Great Grandfather and my Great Great Grandfathers tool boxes/tools. Both were furniture makers.

Part of your apprenticeship way back then was to make most of your wood working tools. One set has ebony handles and the other has rosewood. My brother got the set with the Tiger Maple handled tools. It's called pride of ownership. ;-)

I have some #1s that have been sanded and painted so they are smooth and slide through the bags. I also have a some with outstanding factory wood.

RWT

Chief 101

Hunter
I know but that is where it lives most the time...it was so beat-up when I got it I had to clean the rust from the action and refinish the wood, its back in service now...its a pleasure to carry this...

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
ill give that one an amen. Ive got a few rifles with beautiful stocks that some of my buddys cringe at when looking because they have bumps and scratches in them. There all used for hunting and i dont baby any gun. even a AAA stock can be used for hunting. It isnt all that big of a deal to have them refinished when they get beat up. I wouldnt show up on a construction site with a rusty hammer i bought at walmart. There all tools but it adds to my enjoyment while hunting to take a break and admire a beautiful gun.
R1895 said:
Just because something is a tool, doesn't mean it has to be ugly or plain Jane looking. :wink:
I don't mind the idea of paying more for better wood on some of my tools. I've done it before and would do it again.

Lloyd Smale said:
ill give that one an amen. Ive got a few rifles with beautiful stocks that some of my buddys cringe at when looking because they have bumps and scratches in them. There all used for hunting and i dont baby any gun. even a AAA stock can be used for hunting. It isnt all that big of a deal to have them refinished when they get beat up. I wouldnt show up on a construction site with a rusty hammer i bought at walmart. There all tools but it adds to my enjoyment while hunting to take a break and admire a beautiful gun.
R1895 said:

Good points. I like they way you guys think.

I picked this up a an auction of a Ruger executive a few years ago for a 44 Carbine.
stan.jpg