WTB youth model hunting rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

warbird1975

Single-Sixer
Hello all,

I am in the market for a hunting rifle for my 11 year old daughter. She will be able to hunt next fall and she is very excited about it! I bought her a rifle several years ago but as the time draws near it is clear that it will still be too big for her to use next year.

I have never really researched youth rifles so I am not sure what is out there. I have always had good luck with Remington model 700's, so I would prefer one of those. As far as caliber goes, I would like to find something in a 243 or 6mm. If you have something like that sitting in the back of your safe please let me know.

Thanks, Mike

All my kids started shooting a Remington model 7 youth rifle in 7mm-08. Each of them took their first elk and deer with it, including my daughter this last year. Short, handy, light and the 7mm-08 is a great round that fits n the same size package as the 243 but with bigger bullets.

I have a Marlin 336Y which is the youth model. Shorter stock and shorter barrel. It's made by Remington, who has vastly improved their production of Marlins. Probably better than what Marlin was producing the last couple of years they were in existence. Has a couple of small dings on the stock PM me if interested.

warbird1975

Single-Sixer
I had not even considered a 7mm-08, that is a caliber that I have been interested in from time to time but a have never had one. I will look in to that, thanks.

BPJ, thank you for the offer but I would really like to stick with a bolt action rifle for her.

princeout

Blackhawk
WB,
I did the same thing Robb did - a Model 7 in 7mm-08. It did great for the boys starting out. I picked up a full-sized stock on sale a couple of weeks back and now it is doing guard duty against crop-eating deer at Son#3's veggie farm. It is a easy gun to grow with.

Tim

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
I started with a HR single shot 243. Cheap, very reliable and easy for young person to learn on. There are still a bunch out there available even though HR has ceased production.
In fact mine is still sitting in the safe. You can PM me if you want to chat about it, though it might be more feasible for you to find a used one locally than me ship it.

JackpineWillie

Single-Sixer
I bought my grandsons Ruger American compacts in .308. The boys were both under 80# when they started shooting the .308s, no problem. Over the years I have found that if I have had to track or help track a wounded deer it had been shot with one of the .25s. The .308 with a 150 grain bullet is quite manageable, even for someone of smaller stature. The American is reasonably priced.

warbird1975

Single-Sixer
I was contacted by a gentleman on the forum who has a model 70 in 7mm-08 and I bought it. Thank you for the suggestions, I appreciate it! And thanks again Greg!